Sedona day hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentbill

Reaction score
I'll be spending a few days in Sedona AZ the first week of May. If anybody has any suggestions for day hikes, I'd love to hear them. It will be my first time in the area so I've ordered a couple guide books from Amazon, but would love to hear about anybody's experiences in the area. My biggest problem will probably be choosing just 2 or 3 hikes out of all the possibilities.

Thanks very much.
Bill

I will second Oak Creek Canyon. For red rocks hikes, we enjoyed hiking up Cathedral Rock... it was fairly short (three-ish miles I think) but had pretty views.

- Ivy

Last edited:
Anyplace

Anyplace in Sedona is beautiful. Oak Creek Canyon and Cathedral Rock as mentioned, but anyplace in Sedona is just amazing. Amazing sunrises and sunsets. Also some nice streams with flumes...... but the mountain water is cold, even in August! Being "that close" to the South Rim of the Canyon,,,,, you should try to make it up there as well. Enjoy it all.

We did a Vortex Day (Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock, Boynton Canyon). Lots of fun.

Always bring plenty of water when hiking here.

Hiking isn't all that Sedona has to offer. It is a great, but expensive, eating town. Best breakfast that we found was at Oaxaca. Lunch at the Red Planet Diner is a must. Dinner at Dahl & Diluca (get an outdoor table) and René at Tlaquepaque (one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at) are equally mandatory.

Take a day and visit the Grand Canyon, also.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your input. My current plan is to hike Bear Mt, Mt Wilson, and all of the vortex sites around Sedona. I'm sure I'll check out Oak Creek Canyon to some extent, and if conditions are right, Humphrey's peak.
And I might check out the Grand Canyon and will want to hike some there. But I'm only there for 4 1/2 days! So many trails, so little time! What's a peakbagger to do?!?!