seward range dec. 22 ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pvon

Reaction score
here's an open call for a first of the winter season hike to the seward range via calkins brook. I missed "tagging" seward last winter and need it for #45W. I'm planning to finish the adirondack winter 46, New Years eve, on Cascade. So I need to get this hike planned.

Typically each year a group forms to attack this range sometime before the new year. I'm flexible to the date but I'm aware that some people are planning it before Christmas. Dec. 22 works for me.

How about it, anyone interested?

Pvon

Sounds interesting.

Are you doing all the peaks or just Seward?
Do you think the road will be open?
Planning on dayhiking or backpacking?
Skis for the road?

please advise.

Good questions, John. Initially my thought is for a dayhike. I only lack Seward so that is my main priority. Should I stick with the Calkins Brook approach it will offer a group, if there are enough in the main group to form two strong parties, opportunity to split on Donaldson with a group headed with me to Seward and another to Emmons and then a reversal track for all three peaks.

Dec. 22 is barely three weeks away and anything weatherwise can and likely will occur between then and now. Right now the snow is minimal and the road driveable. All it takes is one good snow to make road passage improbable. Driving into the summer trailhead with iffy conditions only to risk getting stuck on the way out would leave me likely to walk in. Its not fun thinking about adding almost an extra 7 miles and 2.5 hours RT to the trek but I seemed to manage it ok on four trips into the region last year (one that I skied).

If the weather looked favorable as we get closer to the hike I'd be considerate of an overnight. Last year on Dec. 27, I bivied, solo, on Donaldson overnight to catch a great sunset and awesome sunrise from the ridge. It was a great experience but not something that can be done with a group or legally at that. That was the same weekend that Sherpa K and Michael M. met with a group below at Blueberry LT.

One thought I've been pondering, if snow conditions are light, is an approach from Ward Brook Truck trail.

Pvon

Sewards

Don't know if you guys are deadset on the 22nd, but if there is any change to the weekend prior (December 17th), I'd be interested in joining you. I have none of the three, but would do a day hike for any one/combination of them...most of my hiking partners are more of the summer persuasion. Anyway, just post and let me know. If not, good luck to you up there.

Seward Seward Seward!

:) Hi Pvon & John H Swanson,

May be just considere this couple of things.

1- Last year the gate was close little bit earlier in december, because a couple of cars was staying in trouble with the snow and ice.

2- At this time over one foot of snow on the ridge and few chance to lose this snow, good chance to catch a couple of more feet of snow before 21 december.

3- Usualy the Calkins Brook approach is easier with least snow all winter and specialy in first part of Spring.

4- We hiked with snowshoes last Saturday (12-04-04) and for the peoples know the blowdown part, with the good work remove many trees, it was easier of the last trip on 11-25-04.

Good luck every body, Pinpin Junior have a plan to go in this range in the second week of January....stay in contact.

Pinpin Junior. ;) ;)

Currently there are 3-5 inches in the mountains near Corey's. Rain is expected on Wednesday. If winter comes, then it's going to come with a fury. I suspect, however, that by December 22 that conditions will either be icy or a very minimum of snow. Although I cannot predict weather conditions for two weeks from now, if it's low snow, best to bring crampons.

Recommendations: insteps work well, but, also try Katoola's, as they are designed for eastern hiking ice. 10 and 12 points are designed for walking on glaciers, hence the high center of gravity. While they do work for walking on water ice, they are not ideal. Katoola's have a lower center of gravity and are thicker. Can't wait to use my pair on Catskills Sugarloaf, this winter.

Moose

mud and snow in Calkins Brook

I followed a set of "rabbit" tracks up to 1050 meter, just below Donaldson on Sunday, 12-5. The rabbit tracks continued for all three peaks. I was without snowshoes and the snow was about 16 inches deep when I turned around. I am always amazed how wet and muddy the lower truck trail and herdpath are, even in December. I sunk well beyond boot top height many times until above 2800 feet elevation. Even then the wet sloughs were still muddy beyond that. I suppose I'll consider bringing crampons on the 22nd but aggressive snowshoes (viper cleats) might be enough.

Hoping to return, weather permitting, to Calkins Brook this Sunday, Dec. 12, to check on the road, snow conditions and keep the herdpath tracked as far as I can in preparation for the 22nd.

Pvon

I'll do it if we can drive into the trailhead. If not I'll have to pass, a road walk in winter does nothing for me. I have to return to the Santanonis this year and the Dixes. Two road walks in one season is enough. :)

Pin Pin Jr.
Thanks for the info.

Pvon,
Everything depends on the conditions.
Regardless we still have it on the calendar.
Having already been stuck once on the summer Coreys road, I'll use caution.
Of course ice (for the road) is more concerning than snow.

John

Hi

I am definitely interested in going for Seward in early winter if some group will have me. Seward is one of around 20 winter ADKs that I need. In the interest of full disclosure: PVON, I think I met you on the summit of Colvin on New Years Day a couple of years ago. I was the bozo who didn't make it to Blake because of a broken snowshoe. I am not a winter camper so I need to do this as day hike. I also want to do it in calender winter. I stand ready willing and able to participate in an assault on Seward from either direction. I can get the 22nd, 23rdm 24th off as necessary.

great recollection

Pig Pen, you've got a sharp memory. I did climb Colvin several times to get Blake, including New Years Day 2002! I showed my young adult daughter your email and she remembered me telling my story of who I met on the hike that day. I'll refresh my aging memory when I find my journal entry. The winter hiking community is a great group of people that crosses paths and eventually joins together frequently. It would be great to join up with you on the 22nd.

There is a small, and hopefully growing, nucleus of hikers considering the 22nd. So long as the weather is reasonably cooperative there will be an attempt that day, with some flexibility for weather or an aborted hike. I've scheduled the week before and after Christmas for vacation to hedge my success. I'm driven by a long standing plan to finish my winter 46, New Years Eve on Cascade with family and friends.

Obviously an early departure from either Stoney Creek bridge or the summer trailhead (if that is possible) will be on the agenda. John Swanson has thrown the idea of a backpacking trip into the hopper. I'm uncertain whether I will overnight but who knows what nature will bring us to get me reconsidering that option. Right now I am only planning to dayhike.

Peak_bgr, I'll keep you posted on the Coreys Road condition as I will be out to Calkins Brook twice before the 22nd. I hope its open for your sake because I'd enjoy hiking with you. The more the merrier and better chance for success. Last years first winter season group wasn't successful and returned within days to much different weather and snow conditions.

For anyone interested in a pre-season warmup, I'll be headed into Calkins Brook this Sunday, 12-12, just to see how far up to Donaldson I can get.

Splitrock, can't make the 17th but I hope to get out on the 19th for another recon trip.

Hey Phil,

I and one or two others have bandied about the 22nd as a day for the Sewards. I need Emmons and Seward and would like to make a run at all three, but that depends on all the usual factors. Keep us posted on what you find in there on your recon trips. Since you're open during those two weeks, hopefully we can make the Sewards happen before New Years. That was our hope, too.

An open road, a somewhat cleared trail high up on Donaldson, and a decent weather forecast ups me to about a 99%er. (that's not asking for too much ;) )

Are you at Seward and Cascade left to go?

Sean

only seward and cascade remain to be completed!!!

Doc, hope you might be able to join on the 22nd attempt. I'm feeling positive about it even given knowing what a world of difference 12 days can make. Tomorrow will be a good example. I'll post my findings for as far as I get on the 12th and hopefully 19th recons.

Just in case the 22nd isn't sucessful its good to know that a number of people will likely be going there the following week.

Kahtoolas on ice or snow

Hey Moose!
It is cool that you use the Kahtoolas!
I have found them great for running on icy roads or snowy packed out ski slopes, but wonder if they are sufficient replacements for my 12ptrs.
Please let me know what you think of them for the mountains.
My impression was that they are designed for running with the flexible spring steel connector and not necessarily rugged (durable points) enough for mountaineering.

Thanks,
Inge :)

Pvon said:
Splitrock, can't make the 17th but I hope to get out on the 19th for another recon trip.

Pvon, Not a problem. Good luck to you guys, I hope everything lines up for you. We're heading into Cliff/Redfield shortly after Christmas for an overnight, which will move us ever closer to 46 (my buddy & I are at 35 & 38, respectively). So we'll get our 'December' hike in....

I'm sure you guys will do this, but post what you find- an early January trip up to the Sewards is in the works...again, good luck & best wishes.

Sunday 12/12: Calkins Brook Recon

This last weather system brought more rain than snow to the lower slopes of the Seward Range. Gate was open and road was surprisingly driveable after the Horse Assembly Parking lot. No one had signed in the trail register after my entry last Sunday, 12/5. It's one very quiet area right now.

Encountered lots of wet and very muddy trail sections up to 2600 feet. Did not put snowshoes on until 2900 feet elevation. Below that snowshoes were a nuisance or not necessary at all. 2900' must have been the rain/snow line because the snow picked up depth quickly from there. Last weeks tracks were faint although beyond 3500 feet some semblance of pin pin jr.'s track helped me through a tough section of blowdown.

Snowshoed on mostly frozen granular, supportive snow. Worked on setting a track that I hope will be helpful on the 22nd. We'll certainly encounter a lot more snow on the ridge. For the most part the herdpath was quite distinct except for the 3500-3600' stretch of blowdown. After that it looked better, which I hope proves true in 10 days.

Keep your fingers crossed that the Corey's Road stays in the condition it is right now for the next 10-14 days. It will make a huge difference and hopefully we can attract a larger group.

By the way, I left the summer trailhead at 9:20 AM and turned around at 1:40 PM from 3650', about 0.3 mile from the ridge. 4 hours 20 minutes in and 3 hours out. I'm guessing Seward was about 2-2.5 hours away at my pace.

Splitrock, are you going back there next weekend? I hope to check the road conditions and lower slope again next Sunday, if possible for another report in a week.

Pig Pen, Sean, Spence, maybe Inge? (you mentioned sometime ago you might be headed for Seward around the 22nd), anyone else? John Swanson's confirmed. I suspect that the knowledge that a team is headed out will draw people regardless of confirmations. The more the merrier, thats for sure.

Phil

Good recon work, Phil!

A couple questions:

I take it the road is drivable to the TH?

How high is Caulkins Brook?

Has the crossover (halfway down the Horsetrail to the CB crossing) been broken out, or did you start from the CB intersection with the Horsetrail?

It sounds muddy and mucky?

And yes, hopefully all will remain the same and stiffen up for the 22nd!

Thanks Phil for the recon! I will be coming with Doc and hope to hit all three!

More info

Sean and Rik, sounds like the nucleus of a fine team is shaping up. Rik, getting all three is ambitious! I believe that is John Swanson's goal. I'll be the first to admit to not being a morning person. That said it will be my goal to be at either the Horse Assembly area just past the bridge or more hopefully, the summer trailhead via 4WD, at 6:30 AM.

Sean, the road was driveable with 4WD as of yesterday. On my way out at 5 pm, I was passed at Rock Pond pulloff by a Forest Ranger making a patrol to, I suspect, the summer trailhead. Not sure what the criteria is for closing the gate, but the road wasn't bad when I drove out. Darn, I hope its driveable next week.

Calkins Brook needed caution to cross but I picked up a couple sticks to assist me across for stability. The rocks were icy and the flow was higher then I expected. With it being so wet I suspect it will be about the same next week.

Yesterday was my third visit back there within ten days. I have now done both ways ( "new" crossover and old herdpath) equally to get a fair judgement that I can discuss elsewhere more fully. I've got a good map showing both routes if anyone would like me to email it. I think the "new" route would be worth the effort only if a large enough group packs it out. It does save one mile and about 300 feet elevation.

And yes, it seems this area wants to compete with the Bradley Pond and Scotts Clearing trails for wettest and muckiest trail in the High Peaks.

Last edited: