Sewards, Aug. 31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Ridgerunner

Reaction score
A politician, a historian, and a geologist walk into a bar... Hey, it could happen! :cool:

Early Sunday morning under a clear, star-filled sky Fran and I left the North Wood Cabins to head for the Corey's parking lot and begin our long awaited hike of Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons. We turned off Route 3 and headed down 5.8 mile section of the Corey's Road. You really feel like you're getting back into the woods at that hour! We were slowed by a deer just standing in the middle of the road, not far beyond the steel bridge, with what was probably an expression of ...isn't it a little early for your species?

We rolled into the parking lot just after 6am, and were not surprised to find a couple fellows having a quick bowl of cereal before heading in to Ward Brook to drop their packs and hike Seymour. Another party arrived as we were donning our packs and took the last "easy" parking spot. Holiday weekend!

We hit the trail at 6:10 and by then it was already first light so we didn't need our headlamps (except for signing the trail register). At the first junction we stayed left on the foot trail, expecting it would be dryer than the horse trail. It was very pleasant walk through the woods to the junction with the truck trail. Turning right, we made good time heading toward Calkins Brook with the sun coming up, peaking through the trees on our left. The herd path was well marked with a cairn with a stick pointing the way, just before the truck trail turns right. As we arrived at the crossing of Calkins Brook we met a fellow named Marshall, who was filling water bottles for his group. They camped on the flats just a bit up the trail on the south side of the brook. We chatted briefly, then headed up the herd path.

As advertised, this is a delightful trail -- soft under foot, with very few obstacles, and a mostly moderate grade. We were in the shade much of the way and it was still quite cool. Ideal hiking conditions. When the sun did peak through it was just beautiful with the dew glistening on the spruce boughs. We encountered a couple of muddy sections, one which was particularly nasty, but managed not to get swallowed up. The last half mile or so before the junction with the Seward-Donaldson herd path was steep, as you would expect, but not all that difficult.

The junction was very obvious, and is still marked by a piece of flagging (pink or orange, I can't remember). Contrary to Neil's advice about keeping things in alphabetical order :p we decided to do head for Seward and get the hard one out of the way first! The herd path to Seward is very clear, although a bit tight in a few spots...we have the scars and bruises to prove it. We weren't at all happy when the trail descended for a second time, after we thought we had already come up out of the col. (Not the first or last time we'll say that as we pursue our 46, I'm sure!) We did get some great views of Marcy, Skylight, and the Macs along the descent. We also met several people along the way, and at the bottom of this second descent one of them told us that it really wasn't that much further to the summit...just steep! He was right on both counts. The chutes and cliffs were a blast...challenging, but not precipitous. There were also some wonderful views of the Santanonis and Emmons. We reached the ledge just below the summit and chatted with two gents there who advised us we might want our gaiters on for the summit approach...more good advice! As we talked we were passed by a blue streak, a mountain goat called Drake, Marshall's son. This happened at all three summits...glad I didn't have a teenage boy in my hiking party, making me feel bad about my slow pace. :D Took a quick trip up to the summit, through the mud, for our obligatory summit photos, then returned to the ledge to enjoy our PB&J before heading back over to Donaldson.

After the slow, steep descent off Seward, we were back at the Calkins path junction in no time. OK, so that's not exactly what we were saying when we had to descend to the second col. Back at the junction we met a lovely woman named Sally, who is already a forty-sixer, "but you can never get enough," is what she said to me. She was on her way up to Donaldson to get some photos. The three of us scrambled to the top together. Sally went straight for the summit, but Fran and I wanted to check out the west-facing ledge first. When we got there we found a man lying on his back enjoying the mid-day sun and a nice stiff breeze. We chatted for a moment, greeted the mountain goat, then moved on to the actual summit. 1ADAM12 had told me that this was one of his favorite views in the high peaks and it surely did not disappoint! The views were stunning on this perfectly clear day. Seward and Seymour nearby to the north, the Santanonis directly in front of us (little Couch seems so benign from here). But most impressive were the two big boys, Marcy and Algonquin, who just seemed to shine in the mid-day sun. The entire McIntyre range was on display and so impressive. We could even see Giant off in the distance!

After enjoying conversation and doing the camera shuffle on Donaldson, we were off for Emmons. Can you say duty hike? Maybe it was just the fact that we sort of hit a wall at this point in the day, but it just didn't seem like we would ever get to the summit of Emmons. It was muddy early on, as advertised. Although the trail doesn't descend a great deal to the col it just seemed annoying, with lots of small ledges that required some thought and care...and with the fatigue we were starting to feel, we just weren't in the mood. :( Nevertheless, we did enjoy the wonderful views of Long Lake and the Emmons summit ahead. At long last we arrived at the summit and were surprised that there was a bit of a view to the south. I should mention that once again, we were almost immediately joined by the mountain goat.

From Donaldson we had been accompanied by a gentleman named Bill and while at the summit of Emmons it became apparent that he was in a bad way. He was having some stomach cramps and was tired and weak. Fran shared some gorp and beef jerky with him, and while we refilled our hydration units from the two spare liters we were each carrying, we topped off his water as well. We knew this would be more than enough to get us back down to water sources on the Calkins Brook trail. Bill was clearly nervous about his condition and asked if we would stick with him on the way out. Of course we were already of that mind. So after a short break on Emmons, and some food and water, we headed back toward Donaldson, me in the lead and Fran doing the sweep. Didn't seem nearly as difficult going back, probably because the little ledges are almost always easier going up than down.

We talked with Bill along the way and he seemed to be doing much better as we moved along. Revisited the Donaldson summit and snapped a couple more pics, took some more nourishment, then began our descent. By the time we were about half way down the Calkins Brook trail it was apparent that Bill was doing just fine. I think a combination of a tough hike, not enough sleep the night before, and not drinking enough water had gotten him into trouble. But with the some salt, protein, water, and no more uphill he was out of the woods (well at least figuratively). The remainder of the hike down to the truck trail was uneventful. The brook crossing was a welcome sight, as we knew we were about to reach the last leg of our journey.

Bill had hiked in from the Raquette Falls trail and was camped down that way, so we made sure he had plenty of food and water and parted company, confident that he would be fine. It was now 6:30, so Fran and I picked up the pace for the 3.3 miles out to the car, managing to get back without the use of headlamps, arriving at the car at 7:45. We signed out, took off our gaiters, boots, and stinky socks, put on our Tevas and uncapped a couple of ice cold 46er Pale Ales...mmm mmm good!!

Pictures: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/566259639GtsPKK