Sewards - Best Itinerary?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick:

What route are you planning for Basin and Saddleback? We just did them as part of an overnighter from Slant Rock and the Garden....

Pat

For Basin & Saddleback....yeah I have been debating that one a bit, too. I'd like to do them as a day trip, but it is a little longer than any trips I have taken so far this year. The shortest route with the least climbing appears to be a simple back and forth via Orebed Brook. The obvious downside to this is that it's not a loop. There was an extensive thread on this topic recently debating the clockwise/counter clockwise routes involving Orebed and the Johns Brook trail up Marcy.

Decisions, decisions.

Could be a moot point...just found out that I probably have an extensive business travel schedule over the next month or two, could put a severe crimp in my hiking schedule :( .

ADK Rick

Cold River Bob said:
This was posted a while back
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2556

Ihave been on the trail on the south side of Ouluska an it was easy to find. but that was two years ago

CRB,

Did you do the exact same route as Johnnycakes in the link above or were you coming up from the Northville-Placid trail? If you did Johnnycake's route, what was the descent off the summit of Seymour like? What about camping, if necessary, at the old mining camp--good or bad idea?

I've just got the Seward Range left to complete the 46 and am planning on doing it next week with a buddy who is also working on the 46. McMartin's description of the Emmons slide route intrigued me but it didn't make sense for a two day trip attempt at the Range. Any more info on the Johnnycake's route would be greatly appreciated.