Shelburne Moriah and Moriah 12/14/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
Usually Mike (NH Tramper) posts trail conditions, however, he's taking an Avalanche Awareness course this weekend and isn't around to post. I hope I can live up to his expectations! :p

Trails: Shelburne Trail (north), Kenduskeag Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail, Mt. Moriah Spur, Rattle River Trail

Conditions: The beginning part of Shelburne Trail is a road walk, on crusty snow, perfect for our boots to grab onto. The upper portion off the road is in good shape, but I can see where it might be difficult to follow in non-winter (see: leafy) conditions. Kenduskeag Trail was pretty brushy in its eastern (non-AT) section, with a few blowdowns along its length, one requiring a work around into the woods. Rattle River in great shape, a couple of blowdowns to contend with, but nothing of much consequence. All stream crossings were fairly easy hops today, a bit of ice on the rocks, and ice bridges forming.

Equipment: Microspikes came in handy from just before Shelburne Moriah, until the trail moderated on Rattle River. The ledge sections west of Shelburne Moriah were clear, but as soon as you headed back into the woods, the ice reappeared.

Comments: Fantastic day to be out. The road walk portion of Shelburne Trail was a bore, the turn-off was found easily enough, though the road walk was longer than I expected. Really beautiful woods along Shelburne and Kenduskeag Trail. Fantastic views from Shelburne Moriah, definitely worth a return visit. Equally strong views from Moriah, though the Presidentials had clouded over by the time we got there. Rattle River on descent was painful in the beginning for me (steep descents always wreak havoc on my knees), then moderated and became a nice walk in the woods out to the trailhead. Thanks to Mike for busting out another big one this week!

The whole story (and pictures) can be seen HERE.

Cheers,

Bill