Shelburne Moriah, where have you been all my life?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Why I haven't hiked Shelburne Moriah before I have no idea. Perhaps it's too easy to get caught up in the 4,000-footers. But a late November hike up there with Janelle the day after a storm has quickly turned this 3,000-footer into one of our favorites!
Here's our vignette, with a slideshow: Shelburne Moriah hike with slideshow
Here's all the pictures: Pictures from Shelburne Moriah

The day before, we hiked up to The Horn, another equally impressive 3,000'er! Love how Unknown Pond looks in the winter!
Here's our vignette on that hike: The Horn hike
Here's some pictures: Pictures from The Horn

0_0_3ddf63ef7fe8e0856ef51efbb76b12fc_1

I loved this summit the first time I did it on a backpack trip which included the Wild River area as well. I need to get back there again. It's been a long time now since I've been there.

Now that is a mtn Ive wanted to hike for years, but its too dang far to the east for a guy without a license. Thanks for posting the pics, and congrats on getting all the 52 WAV!

Thanks all! Grouse, yes, it will be worth the effort I promise! And thanks for the congrats, I'm quite proud of the kid for doing it! Sunshine, we want to go back up from the Wild River side. It's beautiful down there! Did you continue on over Moriah and the Carters? Driver 8, thanks! The light was right :)

Dan,
There are tons of trails out there to hike in the White Mountains. Nothing like hiking one of the smaller "gems". I looked at our list of 52 WAV and we've done about half of them. Thinking we may continue on with completing the list; but we do need to also finish a couple of 4000 footers too.

Donna:)

I was up there July of '11 on a backpack around Wild River Wilderness. I spent the night under the stars on the summit. Not sure if that is legal but it was low impact on the rocks. Beautiful night with 40MPH gusts and clear skies with views into Gorham and over to Mt Washington. Woke up with fog in the river valley and over the lakes staring at Presidentials. Great peak that I'm guessing gets little traffic.

Hi Donna, yeah, I must admit that it was something of a relief when I finished my 4,000er list. It was like the pressure was off and I didn't feel guilty exploring other parts of the whites! :) Which of your 4,000 footers remain?
Tomcat, that sounds wonderful... lots of wide open space and rocks up there! And I think you're right, I've never seen many people out in the Wild River area.