Sherrill and North Dome 1/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Just so you know, it's Sherr-ILL (and it was a man).

Ok now that we have that out of the way, we started at 8:25 from Shaft Rd. off Rt. 42. Group of 10 with the 3500 Club. Slow pace all day. VERY cold all day. Result, lots of layers!

2nd result, both peaks bagged in about 8 hours. The snow is very hard down low and still pretty good up high, but there is a lot of new stuff blown around into drifts. A group of 3 passed us early on and were very good navigators and at times trail breakers. Thanks guys! (The weird thing was they would all split up for fairly long stretches, and eventually join back up again, including 1 bare-booter :confused: ) We also met Wooly Bear and company just before we summited North Dome as they were heading the other way.

Some ok butt sliding today, but I messed up my thumb on the last one! :mad:

First stream crossing was not really a problem, the rest were cake.

So, now the track has been tromped down by up to 26 pairs of snowshoes. Go soon! :D

Did I mention it was COLD?! I went thru 3 hand warmers today, and a package of toe warmers.

Just so you know, it's Sherr-ILL (and it was a man).

Some ok butt sliding today, but I messed up my thumb on the last one! :mad:

Since this is a family site, we won't ask you, Tom, where you put your thumb while you are butt sliding.........

Hmmm, so you hurt your thumb on the butt slide eh?

Sounds like you guys had a cold but successful day. Sorry I missed out on this one; we'll have to catch up for a hike at some point. Thanks for the trip report.

BTW, better watch where you put your thumb next time.:eek:

GEEZ! :eek: There are some sicko-s on this board!

:D

If you really want to know, keep reading! :eek:

I was sliding down the hill with my pole in my right hand, and I narrowly missed a tree, but my pole went to the other side and became stuck between an ice ledge and the base of the tree. That stopped my descent very quickly! :eek: :(

Anyway, Mike, I hope the furnace is fixed! Feel free to join us any time, really! :D

Anyway, Mike, I hope the furnace is fixed! Feel free to join us any time, really! :D

Furnace is still dead and went through about a cord of wood in two days!:eek::D Not quite a cord, but a decent amount. Haven't heard back from my repair guy yet and I'm not about to call the oil company for an emergency repair, on a weekend ($$$:eek:). I'll wait till Monday for a less expensive option. I rarely use my furnace, only when it's really cold like this weekend and will be out hiking for the day. Of course it fails to operate on one of the coldest days of the year.:D