Shorter hike to take old dog; not too far from seacoast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
I want to go hiking with a friend with an older dog who can't do long, challenging hikes anymore.

I've done Mt Major, Belknap, everything in Pawtuckaway.

Looking for something around 4 miles. I'd like to get to an area I haven't been and I don't want to drive too far. Around an hour from Portsmouth would be good. Was thinking Mt Shaw, being on the northern side of Winnepasaukee might be nice, but it's longer than I thought.

Any suggestions?

Rattlesnake or Percival-Morgan on Squam are nice but maybe further than you want to travel. I did Blue Job in Rochester once, not that scenic to me.

Second the Red Hill suggestion. Might be a bit farther, it's on the wrong side of the lake from you. There is a dirt road to the top, but easy grades and great views. I used to take my dog up there once a week when I lived in the area.

I also enjoy a long walk in the woods with a dog. They don't usually care if it's a peak or not, but spending a few hours sniffing stuff with you more than suffices. Keep your eye out of unbroken, unposted land or buy a top of the area. There are spots in Southern NH where you can explore a few hundred acres and it sure feels like a long hike.

Tougher in hunting season, so take precautions.

Last edited:
I do not know if it is within an hour of Portsmouth but how about sections of the Wapack Trail. The Packs and Temple Mt. areas might be good choices.

ive heard good things about Parker mountain up in stratham and uncanoonuc in Goffstown
Actually, Parker Mountain is in Strafford and the views are growing in. You might find something if you keep heading down the ridge past the summit but you might also run into development :mad:
Another hike in the area that I liked was Teneriffe Mtn in Milton. It was described in the first edition of the Southern NH Trail Guide but didn't make the cut for the second (possibly due to landowner issues?). It's not a straightforward route however (we took one wrong turn and ended up in someone's back yard - they were friendly about it though) but has a nice payoff.
Stratham has Stratham Hill which is nice but much shorter than what you're looking for unless you want to explore the various trails in the woods.

Ended up doing Red Hill and it was a very nice trip. Short enough for the dog, but long enough that I felt like I did something. Views were great too: Squam to the southwest, Winnepasaukee to the southeast and the Sandwich range to the north.

What about Blue Job Mountain in Farmington? (elevation 1356 ft) There is a firetower at the top and on a good day you can see the Atlantic to Mt Washington, or so I've heard. Can anyone confirm this, because it sounds like a dandy to me, and its not too far from the coast.

grouseking

grouseking said:
Answered my own question....here is a cool link for Blue Job mtn....looks like a great little route...except maybe the dog cant go up in the firetower.

Blue Job Mtn

grouseking

Interesting site. I've seen it mentioned before but this time spent a little time exploring it. It's funny to see a site with climbing routes from all over the world and to have my front yard (well, I can see Blue Job across the street ;) ) listed in there. :)

grouseking said:
Answered my own question....here is a cool link for Blue Job mtn....looks like a great little route...except maybe the dog cant go up in the firetower.

Blue Job Mtn

grouseking

It is a pretty short hike. (Yes, the pun is intentional.) I've used the tower steps in the past to teach a dog to climb open stairs. As I recall, I couldn't get him up on the platform because of a narrow turn required at the top?