Six grand peaks in Maine! 08/06/07 - 08/10/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
During the week of Aug. 5 Marty and Lauren invited me up to their beautiful camp on Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Maine. As Marty will attest, I was really knocked out by the elegant log cabin and the beauty and solitude of the location. Marty had graciously offered to help me tag some of the peaks which remain on my NE67 highest, as several of them are clustered around the Rangeley-Stratton area.

Early on the morning of Aug. 6th we headed out for an ambitious goal of climbing South and North Crocker and Mt. Redington as well. We accessed the AT via the Caribou Pond Road (formerly known as the Caribou Valley Road). The road is severely eroded in places with some dicey bridge crossings. A four wheel drive vehicle is absolutely necessary. I was lucky to be in Marty’s Toyota Tacoma as my own little Chevy S10 two wheel drive would not have made it through this lengthy and difficult road.. We finally linked up with the AT and began our ascent up S. Crocker. It was a typical Maine trail, rugged, remote and steep with a wonderful wilderness feel. Nevertheless we made it to the summit in good time, moving along efficiently and a bit driven by a 70% chance of rain that day. I began to discover that the AT has a beauty and uniqueness of its own in Maine. I especially enjoyed the descent through the col and up to N. Crocker, one of those high altitude trails, sprucy yet open enough for great views.

After tagging N. Crocker we retraced our steps back to the south peak and pondered whether or not to do Mt. Redington as the weather was becoming a bit unsettled. As our spirits were high we started down the herd path from the S. Crocker summit using a precise compass bearing and assistance from VFTT directions. The path is quite overgrown and quickly became a bushwhack. Though we were able to spot the orange (and occasionally pink) ribbons we occasionally took false turns and had to double back and try again. There are also tiny bits of tied rope on some of the branches which, if you look carefully enough, can be reassuring that your going in the right direction. Pants and high gaiters are definitely recommended for this path!

We soon came to the expected clearing and searched out the tote road which would lead us to the summit path. We were unclear as to the exact location of this path. Another herd path to our right marked with an orange ribbon seemed like a logical choice. After a second bushwhack we came upon a more defined path which led us to the summit. The lighter rains which had already been falling began to come down harder now. By the time we reached the Redington summit we were experiencing monsoon like conditions- driving rain, lashing, shivering winds and a good deal of thunder and lightning overhead. The high metal pole used to measure wind speeds at the summit was working overtime and not exactly comforting in a thunderstorm. Having located the summit cannister we were then uncertain as to the correct path of descent. We skirted the perimeter a few times looking for a path with clear orange blazes finally settling on a path which revealed the orange blazes further down. Not a moment too soon as we were both starting to chill a bit.

At this point the skies completely opened up and we were drenched to the bone, fleeing like two mountain goats from the angry skies above. Our boots would have stayed on our feet from the suction of the contained water alone! Luckily it was not a cold rain and it gradually subsided as we made our was further down the flooded path. After a LONG! walk on logging roads and, thanks to Mohamed’s directions, we made it back to the truck. However the wooden arrows which have been placed to mark the direction of the turns are becoming somewhat rotted away.

The following morning we were up very early and eager to tackle Mt. Abraham. We took the logging road in from West Kingfield. Although this road was far more passable we found that our version of the AMC Maine Guide’s directions were not entirely accurate. It took a bit more searching before we were finally at the Mt. Abraham Trailhead (formerly known as the Fire Warden’s Trail). Today we had good weather if slightly on the warm and humid side. Upon reaching the Fire Warden’s cabin the trail veers to the left. It continues below treeline and it is STEEP!! I found the trek across the expansive rockfield to the summit not nearly as difficult as the steep and lengthy access below treeline. The views however are extraordinary. On our way down we unexpectedly and delightfully ran into MEB and Little Sister. We paused for some great conversation and then made our way down the mountain in good time.

After a restful Wednesday we were out on the trail once more this time to tag both Saddleback and the Horn. We ascended the ski slopes and joined the AT at the Saddleback summit. It was a chilly day but a gorgeous one and the views fabulous. What a great section of the AT! This is absolutely not to be missed! The Horn offers a broad profile of the important Maine peaks and there was real satisfaction at having reached #57 on my list.

Another glorious day on Friday offered an opportunity for kayaking and rest. We chowed down some lobsters that evening, turned in early and departed at about 3:30am the next morning to join Sapblatt, Larry D, Bobby and Tuco for a hike up Lafayette (see Mike’s posting).

Thanks so much to both Lauren and Marty for the most wonderful week of the summer!

In appreciation,
Ray

See pics at: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560310701HuyxiB

Last edited:
Ray -
It was so great to finally get you to our Rangeley Plantation place. You were a fabulous guest. The hikes were lots of fun and I will have many lasting memories. Can't believe we were on Redington's summit with all that lightning!

Great photos, too. I loved the shot of the cow and calf moose and the views from Saddleback and Horn where we could see from Katahdin to the smoke on the Cog Railway on Mt. Washington. I am glad you didn't take a shot of me sprawled on the Abraham talus after my nasty fall.

Look forward to hiking with you soon, my friend. I will share this TR with Lauren when she returns from the beach.

Best regards,
Marty

Ray said:
We accessed the AT via the Caribou Pond Road (formerly known as the Caribou Valley Road). The road is severely eroded in places with some dicey bridge crossings. A four wheel drive vehicle is absolutely necessary. I was lucky to be in Marty’s Toyota Tacoma as my own little Chevy S10 two wheel drive would not have made it through this lengthy and difficult road..

Is the road pretty bad the entire way, or just the last mile(s) to the trailhead? Is it possible to park earlier on if necessary and road walk?

Matt

mcorsar said:
Is the road pretty bad the entire way, or just the last mile(s) to the trailhead? Is it possible to park earlier on if necessary and road walk?

Matt

As the driver, I can say that with caution, most vehicles can make it most of the way to the metal grated bridge. There are several spots for pulling off and parking along the way. I honestly would not recommend doing the metal grated bridge and the nasty bridge beyond that unless you have high ground clearance and 4WD.

I think that both those bridges are within a mile of the AT intersection, so you can avoid the majority of the road walk by driving to the metal grated bridge.

Have a super hike.
Marty