Ski Report: East Side, Pine Island, Wilderness, Thoreau Falls TR (partial)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Conditions: East Side Trail was broken out to just past the Wilderness Sign. Now, broken out (for XC Skis) up to the 2.1 mile mark up Thoreau Falls Trail (end of the RR bed) About 8-12" powder.

Detailed XC Ski info: Lots of wet gullies (pretty typical) mostly slowly stepping over was OK. A couple required parallel stepping. The hills were all in good shape. Hill up East Side Trail just before Cedar Brook Trail was partially open running water. I face-planted on the UPHILL there. The ski down was OK with a snowplow. Blowdowns not bad anywhere until past the old bridge area. Water was NOT crossable without the bridge there. I think it was past the suspension bridge area, but it could have been before, the water crossing was dicey on the snowbridges. Now, onto Thoreau Falls Trail: the bridge is VERY interesting, but, getting more sketchy (my opinion) - very difficult getting up over the footings, as usual. Handrails seemed like they've been maintained? Just past the bridge was the one place I took off skis - a deep gully over a low stream. Further up TFT, the At camp 22 there was a HUGE blowdown which required contortions to free both legs AND skis. At the end of the RR bed (2.1 mi up TFT), I reached turnaround time (1pm after starting at 8:40am).

(XC Gear info: I use Rossignol BC70's with NNNBC bindings - OLD technology). Carried but did not use skins

Comments: A GREAT day to be out. Noticed nobody had come in from Cedar Brook or Shoal Pond. Bluebird skies, nice comfy temps!!! A full day for me!!! Didn't see anyone past the wilderness boundary.

Name: Becca Munroe (will post on newenglandtrailconditions.com)