skiing Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el-bagr

Reaction score
We're planning on skiing Isolation this weekend. I'm aware of the various bushwhacks and their relatively open nature, both in terms of bald spots and open glades. If possible, we're going to shortcut. Seems to me the following shortcuts are possible:

1) contour-3080' cutoff bypassing Engine Hill (called "D" on Roy's page)
2) up the NW Branch Rocky Branch to Davis Path (called "E" on Roy's page)

OR

3) up the Isolation/Davis col (called "F" on Roy's page)

Given that skiing is a key part of the objective (Iso will be 47 of the ski-48!), I'm thinking 1 and 2 are feasible, but 3 sounds like a rather thick and steep bushwhack. Anyone have any insight into the skiability of these bushwhack segments? Worst case scenario, we'll take the trail the whole way...

I wonder what those river crossings will be like with this forecast from the Mt Washington observatory:

Another one of those mixed storms, starting thurs night as sleet. the forcast said friday night would be the warmest, around 40 with rain.

Last Thursday night when it poured up there the streams were very swollen and dangerous to cross on Friday. I've never taken those bushwhacks on Isolation but I also wonder what the snow will be like this weekend with the warm temps and rain. Strange winter so far

The 3800 bushwhack from the col north of Engine Hill to the point where you intersect Rocky branch is perfect for sking once you break through a band of spruce. The rest of the trip is through open birch glades with occasional drainage swales. The last section before you intersect rocky branch can be thick softwoods, but then again sometimes not. The crossing of Rocky branch will be tough. My normal bushwhack is to skirt the north side of the valley that leads to the col just north of the summit. Its too thick in the valley and if you are too high on the north wall it gets thick, but there is a band that runs through open woods until the final climb up the headwall to the col (which is thick and steep, and gets thicker before breaking out on the trail).

At this point, we're looking at the other of my two remaining ski-peaks, Waumbek. We were hoping to get Isolation this weekend in leisurely ski-camping style, saving relatively easy Waumbek for the end ... but I've been stuck at 46/48 for over a year now and am ready to finish. Anyone else out on Waumbek tomorrow (Friday) or in the Jefferson area, say hi if you see us!