skiing the slides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who does this or is interested in doing this? I used to do it back in the seventies, but the equipment has changed so much, as have I!

I picked up telemark equipment last year and skied on it all last season and I feel I'm ready for the slides! I've got a couple more things to purchase, like an avalanche beacon, new crampons to fit my T2's, etc. I also picked up the slides picture book to check them out but was dissappointed to see that there wasn't any difficulty rating or min/max angle or something. A few of them I know and I wanted to get out this past summer & hike some of them but didn't accomplish that, so any info you may have, I'd appreciate hearing it!

Thanx,
Ken

I'm not sure what avalanche training and/or experience you have. I recommend having some training and experience, and going with trained, experienced, equipped partners. Slides can be great, but people have been hurt and killed also.

Lot's of the slides are skiable, and probably all of them have been skied by the Ski to Die folks through the years, but that knowledge is hard to access, unless someone volunteers it. Secrecy is as much a part of the Ski to Die mystique as is skiing.

I've only skied the Colden Lake Arnold slide. I've been on that one several times, usually in spring conditions (no powder, but somewhat lower avalanche risk). It's moderately angled. Start on the older, southern branch, which is less steep and holds a lot of snow due to vegetation. The newest 1990 branch is very clean rock, and usually bare at the top. The top of the older slide branch can be accessed easily about 200' south of the big boulder at the top of the Lake side slides. When the old slide runs out, cut left through the trees to the long, gentle run out of the newer slide. At the bottom, it's a short trip through the woods to the trail.

Most of my other backcountry skiing is in the woods (less av danger). That's where I go to enjoy powder when we get it (not very often!).

TCD

Hi guys,

Sorry about the delay in answering, it's been crazy at work. Thank you both for your input though.

TCD, the only avalanche training I've had is what I've read in Mountaineering, the freedom of the hills, it's an excellant book. That and skiing in the Alps; I've seen quite a few of them; avalanches that is. And, funny you should mention it but the Lake Arnold slide is one of the ones I wanted to ski this winter, so if you're interested....

Tom, thanks for the site info! I had a little trouble registering but I'm in now. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to even browse the site, but I'm registered, so when I do get time... In fact, I'm gonna check it out right now!

Thanx again,
Ken :D