skinning up to Tumbledown

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
I'm sure someone has done it before but can I get some basic BETA on skinning up to Tumbledown mountain and skiing down? I have been to Tumbledown a few times (probably 4) in the summer but I don't really remember enough to make a good assessment on the trail suitability for the winter travel. I would guess that the Brook Trail should be easy for the first mile or so ... how is it the rest of the way on skis? Is the brook trail the best choice for skiing?

Thanks for any input.

never been up in winter.. mainly because I was under the impression that the byron rd. to a certain point is not plowed, making for a long slog in.. so that is the question? anybody want to answer how many miles to the trailhead after the plow point?

I have asked this question one of the snowmobile associations. It looks like the road from Byron is plowed only over the hill (I guess over the notch between Whaleback and Dolly mountains up to where 'the camps are' (according to the snowmobiller). That is not close enough to the trails, I think.

From the other side, however, I think the road might be plowed all the way to the beginning of a dirt road that leads to Parker Ridge Trail. If that is true it would be an acceptable distance to reach the trail. A friend of mine will try it this Saturday and will let me know how far the plow goes.

I was up there last April, just after a spring snowfall. I drove in to the parking spot for the Parker ridge Trail which is at the end of Morgan Rd (the "dirt road" mentioned earlier) I only made it because I have a 4wd truck. From my memory, the the plowing stopped at the intersection of West Side Rd & Byron Rd, I'm not too clear on this. Best case is that the road is plowed right past the end of the Morgan Rd to the intersection of West Brook Rd & Byron Rd. I am sure that the Byron Rd from the West Brook Rd is unplowed as it is an active snowmobile trail, I am just not sure of the section of the Byron Rd from West Side to West Brook. It is 2.1 mi from West Side rd to Morgan Rd; 1.1 mi from there to the trailhead for the Parker Ridge Trail. From Parker Ridge trailhead to either Little Jackson or Tumbledown are both pretty gradual ascents.

There is a cemetery on Byron road called Mountain View Cemetary. I wonder if they plow it at least to provide access to the cemetery?

Every time I hike up the brook trail in the winter I wish I had brought my XC skis for that first mile or so you are talking about. It would be a very do-able descent for me. I often bring my sled and find that easier to maneuver on most steep hiking trails than downhill skis as I am a novice back-country skier. I've never used skins, but the last .25 miles or so before the pond gets pretty rocky/icy and steep.

The Parker Ridge trail might even be more suitable for skis if I remember it correctly. It brings you up on a top of a 'ridge' and you are looking down towards the pond and the peaks. It is a nice view.