Slide and Neagtive scanner for a PC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX500 that I bought a few years ago for around $250 and I have been very pleased. In addition to all the stuff a regular printer can do with this one you can scan slides (4 at a time), negatives and photos.....its pretty easy to use, even for non-techy people like myself. The print quality is good as well but I find it easier and cheaper to to download the pictures on a disk and print them off at the local Wal-Mart, as this printer takes six ink cartridges. As far as posting photos I have been very happy with webshots.

Happy shopping!

-MEB

HP makes several for $99 - $799
CompUSA, BestBuy and Staples all carry them, and other brands.

We have an older model - photosmart S20 - that works great.

Many inexpensive modern scanners come with an attachment (one brand calls it a "light lid" to facilitate transparent, instead of reflective, scanning. The software they come with should have a setting to automatically deal with color correction for negatives vs. slides.

As an example, the HP entry level scanners (3970, 4070) both support slides and negatives. These are a $99 and $129 unit, respectively, with 2400dpi support. That's just enough for getting an image that can be posted for viewing online.

So if you're scanning just to post view-size images on the web, one of these should be adequate. If you are scanning to make prints or publish, then you'd want to look at the higher levels of dedicated slide/negative hardware up in the 4800+ dpi range.

RGF1: I have one that I'm interested in selling at a relatively cheap price. It's an HP, I think I used it about a half dozen times before I ended up getting a digital camera. It scans slides and negatives, as well as prints. If you're interested, PM me and we can probably work out a good deal for you.