Slide Brook Lean-To

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckrueger

Reaction score
Does anyone know of the condition of the lean-to at Slide Brook. Heading up there this weekend.

Thanks

Chuck

I assume you mean the Slide Brook lean-to in the Adirondacks accessed from Elk Lake. If so, it's been my adopted lean-to since 1996. I haven't been there since last fall but it was in good shape then. It's got a good flat wood floor and no holes in the roof. If you go, let me know if there are any major problems and also how many pages are left in the log book. I probably won't get there until summer or fall this year.

That's the one Mike. We're headed in there tomorrow afternoon and will report back here on Monday. Thank for the update.

Chuck

The Lean-to is in great shape. We spent a little time picking up around it. The log needs more pages. I took some up with me in case and then left them in the car. The trail in was pretty dry with the exception of one or two stretches. Overall you can tell it was a light winter. The trail up Macomb was bone dry all the way to the top of the slide. Once there, there was snow in the woods. (2'-5' Deep) Crampons were never needed. Could have been usful once or twice but not needed. Still need snowshows at the top. We completed Macomb, Carson, Grace, Hough and Dix. It was a bit challenging and a very, very, very long day with the snow and not finding the Herd paths other than finding the snow spines from previous hikers. But nothing a little compass work couldn't handle. :D It was a beautiful day in the woods. 60 degrees both days. :cool:

Sounds, to me, like an excellent outing. Count me jealous!! :p

Mike, thanks for your volunteer work (volunteers never get thanked enough). I'd think that someone that is on their way past the LT would be willing to add a few pages on the way through.