Sliding down Owl's Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The recent discussion on slides appeared fresh on the heels of my first trip to Owl’s Head. ( It was a fantastic solo hike on Monday May 8 and I will write up a trip report in a few days - trail conditions were the same as that reported by Crazy Team on May 6).

Getting to the point of this post: I had no trouble ascending the slide, but on the descent I slipped several times; enough to be concerned that I would not make it down in one piece. The slips occurred on both the wet upper part and dry gravelly part lower down. I think part of the problem is that my 47yo legs don’t flex much when I step down, so I tend to crash down and that starts the foot sliding and then whoosh, onto my butt!

Anyway, aside from crampons for slides, are there any pointers you can suggest for descending slides?

I should say that I had no problem descending South Tripyramid. Also I was using poles and have done a number of hikes of similar distance and elevation gain (I wasn’t particularly fatigued).

Any help is welcome.

Cheers!

I hate slipping too. What works for me:
1. Poles. If you put your pole and foot down at the same time, the weight gets more distributed. Kind of like landing a small jump when downhill skiing. Also, you can test your landing area a bit to see how loose the rock might be. Sounds like you know this though.
2. Practice. The more you go down steep things, the more you get used to flexing your legs more, even if your knees get a bit cranky.
3. Maybe a pillow? :)

And take your time. I'm always fast on the way up but slow on the way down the steep stuff. Good luck.
Weatherman

Be careful of pillows or cushions, an unfortunate hiker using a boat cushion killed himself on the S. Brother slide back in the 80's! Try traversing the slide, or get to the edge and hang on to the trees.

I try to do as many small, quick steps as possible. This works better in some terrain, like gravelly conditions, than on ledgy sections. The smaller the stride, the more balanced I seem to be, and therefore the small slips are more controllable.

chipc said:
I had no trouble ascending the slide, but on the descent I slipped several times; enough to be concerned that I would not make it down in one piece.
One AMC winter trip to Owls Head many years ago had the leader breaking his collarbone and one participant breaking small bone in lower leg, both walked out

Hence I have never come down the slide in winter, first couple times came down woods to R and otherwise went off E side, that's my advice for slide descents :)

I've been just plain lucky on the Owls Head slide in winter conditions. Have been on it 2 or 3 times in winter, and aside from one time when it was rather icy and I turned back (because Brutus' crampons were on back-order) the other times have been very snowy so snowshoes up and down were just the ticket. Have also done Owls Head twice in winter via what some have dubbed the "Brutus Bushwack" and that avoids the slide altogether.

The Owls Head slide is a nasty one - not only is it steep and rockfall is likely, but it's too narrow to spread out on if you're with a group. I've found that in warmer months the best way is to stay closely grouped - that way if/when something breaks loose, it won't have much time to gain momentum in the event it does hit someone.

Loose scree slopes can be unnerving. Every step has the possibility that what you are planting on can move. I try to always know where I am in relation to the solid stuff, and where my bailout points are, should I start to identify an issue. Also, keep your knees "soft". By this, I mean absorb every step and take them on, you'll be in a better position should your weight shift suddenly. Your weight will be better distributed as well, allowing for a quick shift back to a foot on solid ground.

That being said, I took a mean header once coming down from Owl's Head. The rocks gave way, I fell forward, and bounced around for about 15-20 feet before landing on a small, flat outcropping. If I missed that one, I was destined for another 50' of fun. As I laid there, trying to figure out where I was, what I was doing, and if I was hurt, my dog was bringing me around licking my face. Except for a badly bruised thumb and a few scrapes, I was unhurt.

thanks all

Good suggestions - thanks all!

When I think back, I was not planning my steps that well and was taking too large a stride in some cases. Also I probably was not consistently getting my poles out front with my steps.

I think a little patience on the descent will be the key for me. Overall I loved the hike - I don't want Owl's Head to be the first entry on my "do not hike again" list.

Dug - I took a header a few years back, though mine was from trying to hike and take a photo at the same time on a relatively flat trail (not the excuse this time). All the more for my concern on the slide.

I may be the only person here who enjoys loose scree slopes, but I loved the Owl's Head slide and the Tripyramid South Slide. I've done both twice, and in fact my most recent time on Tri (when visiting the Sleepers) I practically ran down the slide. It was like skiing, allowing each step to give just a bit, keeping my balance, and not getting too fast or out of control that I couldn't stop when I needed to.

Now, I'm not recommended you run down these slides, but let yourself move a little, allow your feet to slip a bit, and I think it becomes really easy (especially if you've skied and have that sense of balance). I'll take one of these slides over a slab slide (Coe, Tri North, etc) any day!
:)

MichaelJ said:
I may be the only person here who enjoys loose scree slopes, but I loved the Owl's Head slide and the Tripyramid South Slide. I've done both twice, and in fact my most recent time on Tri (when visiting the Sleepers) I practically ran down the slide. It was like skiing, allowing each step to give just a bit, keeping my balance, and not getting too fast or out of control that I couldn't stop when I needed to.

Now, I'm not recommended you run down these slides, but let yourself move a little, allow your feet to slip a bit, and I think it becomes really easy (especially if you've skied and have that sense of balance). I'll take one of these slides over a slab slide (Coe, Tri North, etc) any day!
:)

MichaelJ if you like that kind of sliding you should try this slide on Mt.Flume.
flume-lib.jpg
I got some of the best of the "Ski Effect" type thing you are talking about last summer decending there. We were more on the Skier's Left side of the slide.

South Tripyramid, if I recall (it's been maybe 10 years) seemed to have more loose dirt. Owl's Head had more true scree. I recall making it down South Tri in a similar fashion, but I personally wouldn't have tried that at Owl's Head. Although, as I mentioned my fall, it probably couldn't have affected the result any.

skiguy said:
MichaelJ if you like that kind of sliding you should try this slide on Mt.Flume.

I hadn't realized Flume was that style of slide. So you're saying to be out on the slide, with the Flume Slide Trail itself further to skier's left?

MichaelJ said:
I hadn't realized Flume was that style of slide. So you're saying to be out on the slide, with the Flume Slide Trail itself further to skier's left?
Parts of these slides are that kind of style and some is slab. It comes down to picking your line.
Yes Flume Slide Trail would be through the woods father to the Skier's left if you were out on the Slides pictured. Basically go up The Flume Slide Trail,gain the Franconia Ridge and head towards the Summit of Flume. Left (West) of your approach on the way to the Summit there are numerous variations for Decent. At the bottom of the slides Bushwack farther left back to the Flume Slide Trail.
Some of this area is definitely Skiable in Winter also under the right conditions;although the trick would be to find the right exit at the bottom. Basically our Skree Boot Ski we did last Summer was recon for a winter Ski decent. I can't say we found the best way out of there;but maybe next Winter we will get enough Snow to find out.

P.S. Check out Mr. Metsky's website for some nice pictures of flume and it's slides. Thanx Dave!

Last edited:
I destroyed one of my hiking poles coming down Owl's Head last winter. A bad knee prevented me bending it much and I slipped on one section more than the others, having planted a pole beforehand to slow my descent. Well, I slid past the pole and my hand was inside the strap, so it snapped the bottom off the pole. To make matters worse I then fell on the rest of the pole, breaking it further. It was a carbon pole and I snapped it into 4 pieces, so it was completely useless. Geri (of Bobandgeri fame) most graciously loaned me one of hers so I could get the rest of the way down the mountain.

My recommendation is not putting your hands in the pole straps while descending.

The old Flume Slide and North Hancock trails were almost entirely on scree slides, but were re-routed in the 1970s into the woods. I have always felt that the Owls Head slide in the winter is the most dangerous trail route in the Whites and I am not looking forward to the time that PVSART is called for making a litter rescue out of there.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
I have always felt that the Owls Head slide in the winter is the most dangerous trail route in the Whites and I am not looking forward to the time that PVSART is called for making a litter rescue out of there.
So can I count on you & Steve to suggest to the FS that a trail be built that bypasses the slide rather than hikers trying to find their way up a slide from which all route markers have been removed?