Slow NH 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my first in 1962 (on my own two feet)
Did my latest last week.
Don't keep track
For me, hiking has nothing to do with lists.

I did my first NH peaks (Flume, Lincoln, Liberty and Lafayette) in 1970 as part of a summer camp trip and I still haven't done all 48 peaks. I can't pretend to have no interest in the list (I know I have three left and did take that into consideration when I chose my peak for Flags on the 48), but I'm more a backpacker than a peak bagger and the lists are only mildly motivating to me.

Maybe I should save the easiest remaining peak and try to set the record for the longest time lapse from first peak to last. I will start visualizing myself as the only new completer at the 2056 banquet to attend while on leave from a nursing home.

Last edited:
Paradox said:
The views from the top of the Owl's Head Slide are terrific, no signs of human intrusion visible, which is tough to find anywhere, nowadays.
Ahhh... NH, yes, but not in the ADK's.

I started hiking in the Whites in the mid 70's and finally did my first 4K in 2006!!

I did my first ADK46 around 1979 and still have one to go.

teejay said:
For me it's not the NH 48 but a mere 46 in NY. And it's taking me, shall we say, a while.
Shall we say?? ;) Shall we say?? ;) Shall we say?? ;)

Bubba, I thought you were finishing on Marshall last September. What happened?

It took me 24 years 363 days to complete my first round of the White Mountain 4000-footers (October 8, 1977-October 6, 2002), 19 years exactly to complete my first round of the Adirondack High Peaks (July 19, 1983-July 19, 2002), and 26 years 339 days for the Northeast 115 (October 8, 1977-September 11, 2004).

I still have eight peaks remaining on my New England Hundred Highest, so that project is coming up on 29 years.

And I am only eight peaks into the Catskill 35.

If anyone is interested, my first and last peaks for the lists were Washington and West Bond, Giant and Whiteface, Washington and Camels Hump, and Washington and either Stratton (my preference), Boundary, Cupsuptic Snow, Fort, Kennebago Divide, White Cap, South Weeks, or Weeks.

Raymond, my ADK hiking buddy had to stay back as his mother was admitted to the hospital. Many of our hikes were the result of fall hiking weekends with a group... including my wife who would like to be there for the 46th. Therefore, no hurry, rather getting people together. We're heading up to LP Sept 15 - 19th and plan on Marshall that Saturday. When it happens, it happens. :p

Last Sept. the alternative hike was Jay Peak that we did with Neil, his wife a some of their friends. Turned out to be one of the most splendid hikes I've had, and it was just right for my wife who is having back problems that are severely aggravated be hiking down!! A great day and another ADK HH - now there's a list to keep one busy!! I've done more of those than anything lately!

I didn't realize you had the Whites under your belt. :) Congrats. Susan have those?? I'm thinking not...

You’re right.

She’s done all the Northeast Four Thousand Footers except 17 in the White Mountains.

She became a Forty-Sixer in September 2004 (her first was in August 1998, so just over six years to complete the list, for someone who wouldn’t have done any if she hadn’t been hiking just to be with me, ain’t bad), then climbed her final 4Ks in Vermont and Maine later that month. We climbed eight peaks in the Catskills last September, including Hunter and Slide, so she’ll be able to wrap up the White Mountain, New England, and Northeast lists at the same time, eventually. (She’s been tied up this summer repainting her parents’ house.)