Snobird lean-to site in the ADK's.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhoody

Reaction score
Was doing a bit of research on some of the older lean-to sites in the ADK's - does anyone have any beta on the Snobird (sp) site? Where exactly was it and when was the lean-to removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Snobird was between Haystack and Basin mtns.
It was removed back in the late 70's or early '80s as it was located above 3,500'.

Snowbird, Four Corners, Plateau, and Little Marcy were all removed around the same time. While they were sited in ecologically unsound locales, what wonderful places to stay. Four Corners, Plateau and Little Marcy leantos: wake up with the treeline on Marcy right out your front door! There was some talk about leaving them as winter-only shelters. The reality was that they would have been magnets for illegal camping year around. They were magical locations, but with today's trail traffic, the surrounding areas would have become backcountry slums.

I spent a great night at Snobird one time. I was racing an electrical storm to the top of Haystack. Just summited Haystack when a flash-boom hit right next to me. Flying down and getting to Snobird unscathed was a delight.

PB

Last edited:
I wish we could bring back the high lean-tos on a pay basis with every dollar going to the lean-tos for upkeep, maintenence, and area sweeps.

We'll just have to wait until the de-polymerization technology advances and becomes small enough and affordable. Then every privy in the high peaks will become a mini de-poly unit and garbage will become a distant bad memory. All the garbage at a site? Dump it in the privy and watch it get turned into the natural gas for your re-fillable cannister stoves overnight.

As for the location, it is right where (as PB mentioned) the Sno-bird trail along Haystack brook intersects the Range trail. I plan to hike Haystack via this trail this summer ... said to be a beauty.

Peakbagr said it well. Snobird was a welcome sight one night after a looonngg, wet day traversing the Great Range with heavy packs. Little Marcy had sunset and sunrise views that were almost unbelievable. It's a shame they're gone, but it's the price we pay for the popularity of the pasttime we love...

This really doen’t respond directly to the question that opened this thread, but . . ..

I’ve not missed the old stone shelter atop Mt. Marcy, which was removed in the late 1960s or very early 1970s. And somehow, I never found the leanto at Lake Tear very attractive, either.

But I always wanted to (yet never did) spend a night at Plateau leanto, which certainly had one of the most spectacular views in the Adirondacks -- right up at Marcy’s dome. The view from Plateau was even better, in my mind, than from the leanto that stood atop Indian Falls, where I did stay a few times, and the one at Beaver Point on Lake Colden. Maybe the high elevation ambience added to Plateau’s appeal, too.

G.

The Sno-bird site...

... is indicated as a legal campsite on the ADK High Peaks map.

Mike

I believe the former Snobird leanto location is above the allowable elevation for legal camping which is why it was dismantled.
I'm guessing it must be an old map or in error.

I am surprised too...

... but the map is brand new. I bought it a month ago because it had the legal camping locations. From what I have been reading, the old lean-to site is not posted with a no-camping disk; it appeaars to be at about 3500 ft.

Mike

If my friend Jim and I knew about the Snowbird spot, it would of made out Great Traverse a lot easier. Our alternative was to go down the Shorrey Short-Cut to the leanto at Slant Rock. I only found out about it when walking by JBL on the way to the Garden, there was a trailhead sign with a map that had it listed as a leanto....

Jay

Last edited:
Oops, I didn't mean the leanto, I meant as a camping spot. Is it legal to camp there, I know the topos show it as being very very close to 3500' I think the map I saw east of JBL had it listed either as just a bunch of campsites or even had a leanto icon on it. But I honestly, don't recall now.

Jay

Yes, and poor Alpine got snookered into taking the Shorey Short-Cut with me because I was trying to verify the legality of this mysterious location.

That said, mums the word, or this great quiet spot could end up on the endangered list. It is small, only room for one or two tents.

I believe the rules state no camping above 3500', except at designated sites. Meaning there may be a camping site or two above the legal limit, though the Sno-bird is the only one I can think of, and it may be just under the limit.

thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the beta. Sounds like an interesting site, especially to those of us who never got the chance to spend the night in one of the "high elevation" lean-to's. If anyone happens to have any pictures of the lean-to's (or their surroundings) I would be greatly interested. Would be interested in Snobird, Lake Tear, Plateau, etc.

Thanks again.