snow depth in the high peaks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLhiker

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there has been new snow accumulation in the high peaks this week? I heard something about lake placid getting 7" yesterday.

I'm headed up on Friday and will be prepared with both crampons and snowshoes. Trying to anticipate trail conditions.

Last edited:
The rains on Monday melted everything at lower elevations.

7 inches sounds a bit much, we got 3 or 4 here in Saranac Lake yesterday. I'm sure the higher elevations in the mountains had less melting and received more snow.

I'd say as long as you're prepared with both crampons and snowshoes, you should be set. Expect a lot of ice under the new snow from the rain.

I was on Wright Peak today (12/16). Just enough snow to make it feel like winter but no serious depth. Maybe three inches at the trailhead with no more than six to eight inches up high. Brought snowshoes but carried them all day. Crampons were handy above 3,700 and, really, I probably should have put them on sooner. Snow seemed to adhere to the underlying ice quite well. Much different than the extremely slick conditions I encountered on Giant a couple of weeks ago.

Other than that, the winds above treeline today were INTENSE. I actually turned around about 50 vertical feet below the summit 'cuz I just wasn't having fun anymore. Didn't see another soul all day. Imagine that. Gotta love the last week of "fall." :D