Snowshoes or crampons this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
I am so ready to strap on my snowshoes but I don’t think there is enough snow anywhere yet. But ice looks like it may be the order of the weekend. I went up Osceola trail last Sat. and the snow increased from 2” to almost 12”, but it was a perfect consistency for footing. I see a report now in ‘trail conditions’ that the same trail is now “extremly icy”. The melting and freezing this past week has probably made many trails the same. Crampons look to be ready to be used.

Now - where to go? :confused:

carole, time to take 'em just in case. still lots o' rocky areas up on franconia ridge. i saw 2 folks up there ysterday with spikes but i didn't need 'em. just hop the rocks. i'd ay take 'em though.

We are headed to Boundry and Gosford peak up at the Canadian Border this weekend and have beed told by the Park Service that they have 18 inches of snow on the ground. Taking snowshoes along.

Has anyone been up near Jackson or Webster in the nothch? I was wondering if crampons or snowshoes are needed yet?

Update - We hiked Boundry & Gosford (Canada) today. Boundry had between 2 and 3 feet on the boundry swath. The road in started out as dirt, but became snow/ice rutted and by the time we reached the parking are we were driving through a foot of snow. Gosford has about a foot on the upper 3rd of the mountain. Used snowshoes from the start on Boundry - barebooted Gosford. Nice sunny day with bright blue skies!

Hiked Dix today - with or without are both good options

Hello,
we hiked Dix today. We had crampons, but decided not to use them, to keep a faster pace, to save the time it takes to put them on, and to reduce the risk of injury while jumping of small steps on our way down (better to slide a bit than to stop on uneven ground and break an ankle)

We have seen other people who turned back because they had no crampons and wished they had them.

So it is kind of inbetween.
If you tend to put them on only when absolutely necessary, you don't need them. If you want them at the first icy spot, then take them.

Charles

We did Garfield on 11/13. I brought snowshoes and didn't need them. I wish I had crampons closer to the top. It's crampon season.

Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. ;)