So what are your early winter "bonus" hikes ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Una, I hear you! I still love to hike, but it's the thought of the drives now that deters me. The first time I did the 48 was many years ago and I happily zipped up weekend after weekend, doing most in daytrips. Second round was spread out over a longer time, and admittedly, the notion that I could complete a list again was motivating in itself, and also some friends were doing their lists over the years too so that was motivating. I feel like a bit of a slacker these days, but that's just the way it goes I guess as we all get busier, more involved in careers and other obligations. I do miss it all though!

The drive is a big deterrent, especially in Winter when the road conditions and weather can be a real challenge before you even set foot on a trail. I hike alone and am a day tripper too (from CT) and the biggest hurdle to most of my hiking is answering the alarm clock at 2:30 AM or 3:00 AM and getting out the door for that 3-4 hour drive. When there is no "objective" to complete like a list and no guilt related to canceling on a hiking companion the single biggest achievement of most of my hikes is getting out of bed.

When I started my official hiking 48 4k list it was the year the Bruins won the Stanley Cup. My usual hiking routine was the night before being in Providence,RI enjoying the games and much Guinness, driving home to CT about an hour, sleeping 2-3 hours, getting up and driving to NH 3-4 hours, hiking for 7-11 hours (often not feeling overly energetic and enjoying a head ache) and driving home to crash. Long days indeed but "the list" gave me enough motivation to push through. Mt Cabot was my longest day by far. I got 2 hrs of sleep, I hiked from the North side so the trail head was a 4 hr 20 min drive, it was cloudy and drizzling all day (i.e. zero views) and the mosquitos were fierce so I had to keep moving to avoid being torn to shreds....and man was I hungover. Just after returning to car a massive round of thunderstorms and torrential rain rolled through and I drove all the way down Rte 3 nearly to Lincoln doing about 20-35 mph. Took almost 5 hours to get home. To say I was fried was an understatement. I must say without list fever it would have been highly unlikely I would have done most of these hikes.

The drive is a big deterrent, especially in Winter when the road conditions and weather can be a real challenge before you even set foot on a trail ...
Sort of felt that way a few years ago and started to think how much more inviting the warm estuaries of Florida would be ... that winter we wound up in Yellowstone instead ... and look forward to going back.

My lesson: To reinvigorate that winter motivation, get out to a special hike.

Still, this year it'll be a couple weeks in Florida with the kayak.

Most but not all long term hikers who live more than a couple of hours away end up with some sort of fixed base in the whites.

Some options

Ski clubs in the Conway area. These are private clubs that can be busy in the winter but take in guests in other seasons to help pay the bills. I know they exist but living locally I don't keep track of which one is actively pursuing quests.

Fixed camper at a seasonal campground - There are/were a cluster of VFTT folks who has sites in Twin Mountain area, one campground closed and most moved to another one. As the use of VFTT has declined I don't see as many references to campgrounds as I used to so I don't know if there still is active group down there.

Obviously using the primitive USFS campsites along the side roads in the forest is an option but they can be filled up on busy weekends and the lack of any amenities is major detraction for most. This seems to be a transitional thing for most hikers who eventually find another option.

Buying a place up here. I expect for most hikers the thrill of the chase looking for a place is the fun part but in the long run ownership can be less fun. Unless its regarded as a future retirement place, the novelty seems to wear out. Even though I live up in the whites, I have almost pulled the trigger on at least one place in western Maine but the reality is that figuring in the investment I would need to make, it means having to work a few more years and I would much rather have the option of retiring early and hitting the road than be tied to one place. That said there are occasionally great deals on properties in the area but the long term trends indicate that anything more than 2 hours out of Boston are not great investments. If you plan to own long term and retire here you do not really care about long term investment return, but even a low cost place can have steep carrying costs.

Most but not all long term hikers who live more than a couple of hours away end up with some sort of fixed base in the whites.

Some options

Ski clubs in the Conway area. These are private clubs that can be busy in the winter but take in guests in other seasons to help pay the bills. I know they exist but living locally I don't keep track of which one is actively pursuing quests.

Fixed camper at a seasonal campground - There are/were a cluster of VFTT folks who has sites in Twin Mountain area, one campground closed and most moved to another one. As the use of VFTT has declined I don't see as many references to campgrounds as I used to so I don't know if there still is active group down there.

Obviously using the primitive USFS campsites along the side roads in the forest is an option but they can be filled up on busy weekends and the lack of any amenities is major detraction for most. This seems to be a transitional thing for most hikers who eventually find another option.

Buying a place up here. I expect for most hikers the thrill of the chase looking for a place is the fun part but in the long run ownership can be less fun. Unless its regarded as a future retirement place, the novelty seems to wear out. Even though I live up in the whites, I have almost pulled the trigger on at least one place in western Maine but the reality is that figuring in the investment I would need to make, it means having to work a few more years and I would much rather have the option of retiring early and hitting the road than be tied to one place. That said there are occasionally great deals on properties in the area but the long term trends indicate that anything more than 2 hours out of Boston are not great investments. If you plan to own long term and retire here you do not really care about long term investment return, but even a low cost place can have steep carrying costs.

I'd certainly love to buy a place up there but my current economic situation would not allow for even the most spartan of shelters. My wife and I gave several cities a serious look about 10 years ago but in the end it seemed like we'd have to get 2-3 jobs to survive up there and thus would have no time to do any of the things we'd be moving up there for in the first place. A more modest dream would be to get a decent piece of land out of the way to convert into a permanent camp site to use as a base for hiking but I haven't looked into land up there in a long time. Probably can't afford that either anymore. Thus the 2:30AM alarm...... :)

As of today, MichaelJ and myself, nor Sappblatt, HikerBob, and BobnGeri no longer have campers in Twin Mountain. Although the camper-in-situ is a good alternative, ours just got too old to maintain so when our 2nd camp ground changed ownership, we decided to sell it. I'm considering a micro that I can use for both basecamping for hiking and agiity. It would be nice to travel around more.

Last edited:
I've lived in CA and CO for the specific reason to peak bag, but living in the mountains was not feasible, as I had to make a living as well. In CA, I lived in San Francisco, having grown up in a small town, I wanted to experience a big city. I climbed in Yosemite and the Sierra's on weekends. Yosemite was 4 hours, many of the 14ers and 13ers were 5 or 6 hours. To make it feasible, I left right from work on Friday and bivied at trailheads, climbing on Sat. and Sun., then hauling back to the city Sunday night, Long days. In CO it was easier, most drives were 2 to 3 hours at best ( except the San Juans). I also used to the drive the day before and bivi at the trailhead method, although in CO, I had basecamp campgrounds, I Used as well. Right now I'm lucky, 90 minutes to FN, sub 3 hours anywhere else, making daytrips easy. For those over 3 hours away, you almost have to go up the night before or it's just a grueling day.

I've lived in CA and CO for the specific reason to peak bag, but living in the mountains was not feasible, as I had to make a living as well. In CA, I lived in San Francisco, having grown up in a small town, I wanted to experience a big city. I climbed in Yosemite and the Sierra's on weekends. Yosemite was 4 hours, many of the 14ers and 13ers were 5 or 6 hours. To make it feasible, I left right from work on Friday and bivied at trailheads, climbing on Sat. and Sun., then hauling back to the city Sunday night, Long days. In CO it was easier, most drives were 2 to 3 hours at best ( except the San Juans). I also used to the drive the day before and bivi at the trailhead method, although in CO, I had basecamp campgrounds, I Used as well. Right now I'm lucky, 90 minutes to FN, sub 3 hours anywhere else, making daytrips easy. For those over 3 hours away, you almost have to go up the night before or it's just a grueling day.

I have to admit (once I am out of bed and driving) I actually LOVE the long days. I get a huge rush out of leaving my house at 3AM, making the drive and doing a ridiculously long hike. The drive home is usually very enjoyable thinking back on the day, cranking some favorite music and scarfing down some hiking treats. My personal best is 23 hours, the day I did the Dry River Wilderness all the way up to the Lakes Of The Clouds and then came back all the way down the Crawford Path, over Pierce and back down into the Dry River and out. I think it took me 13 hours. And on those long hikes where you really have to grind out the last long miles, often in the dark, it is that much more satisfying. And often when I get home I still can't sleep from the long period of activity. My family thinks I'm completely insane, which adds to the enjoyment. :)

Last edited:
I have to admit (once I am out of bed and driving) I actually LOVE the long days. I get a huge rush out of leaving my house at 3AM, making the drive and doing a ridiculously long hike. The drive home is usually very enjoyable thinking back on the day, cranking some favorite music and scarfing down some hiking treats. My personal best is 23 hours, the day I did the Dry River Wilderness all the way up to the Lakes Of The Clouds and then came back all the way down the Crawford Path, over Pierce and back down into the Dry River and out. I think it took me 13 hours. And on those long hikes where you really have to grind out the last long miles, often in the dark, it is that much more satisfying. And often when I get home I still can't sleep from the long period of activity. My family thinks I'm completely insane, which adds to the enjoyment. :)

Long solo days can be a blast. A few summers ago, I performed the following act of whipless chainless Rated-G masochism:
-worked all day.
-went home and grabbed my stuff.
-drove four hours to the Whites.
-did NOT, I repeat, did NOT sleep in my car in the Lincoln Woods parking lot from midnight to 4am, because sleeping at trailheads is not allowed.
-woke up in my car at the Lincoln Woods trailhead at 4am.
-Did a counter-clockwise Pemi Loop. Was shooting for the Fastest Known Time for the Pemi Loop...missed FKT by six and a half hours.
-Grabbed pizza and coke in Lincoln at GH Pizza (they NEVER EVER smile, but they make good pizza)
-Starting driving home.
-Major accident west of Boston on Rt 128. Traffic at almost dead stop. Pulled off the highway into some office park and slept for an hour until traffic cleared.
-Finished driving home. On the drive home, got to listen to a few hours of Coast-to-Coast on
the radio.....awesome show where people call in and tell the host about how aliens landed in
their pumpkin patch. Total drive home was about 6 hours.

Awake for about 22 hours. Long day, fun day.

I've noticed alot of the local motels in the Whites requiring a two night stay now, too.

I'm not surprised, it's kind of the trend. I stayed at Junges in North Conway for years, as I got to know the old couple and they were really nice to me. Used to make me sit in the "sitting room" and talk before I could go to my room, lol. But then I got my dog Buddy and they don't let pets stay. I rarely use hotels now, although I have used the Yankee Clipper with Bud, right on the strip, but it's fairly expensive as they charge a dog fee, runs close to a C note, to rich for me. Once in a blue moon, I'll do it just to hang out in town for the night.

Nice update on the former Twin Mtn VFTT bunch.

There is land available in the area for cheap but inevitably its cheap for a reason. Thus the thrill of the chase.

The normal wants of folks from south of the whites are

Great views
No Neighbors
Bordering conserved land
Seasonal Use
Low taxes
2 hours from Boston

If it meets these criteria, there are plenty of other folks who are looking for the same and the pricing increases.

Get rid of the criteria and you can buy a livable house in Berlin for 20 to 30 K. Plenty of ATVs folks have come to that conclusion. If someone is under the age of 30 they can get a job in the state or federal prison and live here.

http://remax-ner-berlin-nh.idxre.com/homes/23/15293/65-SWEDEN-BERLIN-NH-03570/4454890. The carrying costs can be high to some folks due to mandatory water and sewer fees plus you need to keep some heat it and for that price, insulation is not going to be great. Notice the yearly taxes. Its highly doubtful that you would ever make money selling it. A VFTT member picked up cheap house in Bethlehem a few years back and I expect he can fill you in on his experience. I wont list his name but will gladly PM folks if they are serious or he may recognize himself and do a posting.

In my little development in Gorham there are 2 - one acre lots that could be had in the 20 K range. One even has a nice view towards the Mahoosucs. There is power but no well or sewer. Contrary to popular belief an outhouse requires a state permit and most of the local soils are unsuitable for outhouses. The town has zoning so there are restrictions on temporary structures so parking a camper on the lot long term isn't going to fly.

Large bulk sized lots are actually pretty rare in northern NH as much is owned by WMNF, the two wildlife Refuges, a couple of town forests and a lot of the remaining large lots are owned by timber investors. Much of the old Brown company lots got stripped of wood and the current owner prices it high as he got his initial investment back from the timber so he is no rush and on some of the land he greenmails environmental groups by threatening to develop it. Success township is most likely going this route once the last tree standing is cut.

If you want to look, this is the site http://nneren.com/. Many owners set a high asking price as many out of staters think they can get a great deal by lowballing the price thinking the owner is desperate to sell. Some of the times they are but frequently they have the lowball factored in.

I have NOT slept at the LW TH many of times. Usually after 10-11pm after they make their last rounds ;)

Neither have I but the Perseids Meteor Showers were fun to watch one night along with a fox that strolled by.

Do they really get pissy and kick people out for sleeping in the lots? I do it a few times a winter and have never been woken up

Do they really get pissy and kick people out for sleeping in the lots? I do it a few times a winter and have never been woken up

I'm not sure if this has always been the case or if it is a new development but I do not recall ever seeing a ranger in the parking areas (since I started going regularly almost 4 years ago) until this year. I saw one at Osceola Trailhead (on Tripoli Rd) checking parking passes one Saturday late AM. That's it. But as Winter settled in this year I've seen a ranger truck in the lot on my last three hikes. Not sure if they figure people are trying to cheat the iron rangers because the "season is over" or if there is some other reason. Been different hours of day each time. Thought that was odd.

I've seen people in Lincoln Woods lot sleeping right out on the ground alongside their car a few times I left from there early on a weekend. Not sure if this is a statement about patrolling habits or sheer cluelessness by the offenders. I am definitely seeing Rangers though of late.