Some hikes have more meanings than others

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandana4me

Reaction score
Marley (my dog) and I decided to do our only good deed for the year (it is nice to get it done early, so I can be grumpy the rest of 2011). We had scheduled a hike to the Kinsmans on 2-3-11 (Marley is working on his grid. We have a four year plan to complete the grid, dividing the 48 4K’s into 4 groups of 12. Doing group 1 in Jan ’09, group 2 in Feb.09 etc… then in Jan ’10 we started with group 2 etc….) but my daughters best friend brought her fiancé to meet us.

He is from N.C. and it was his first trip to N.H. We invited him for a hike and he accepted (poor guy). Having never been on snowshoes we decided to take it easy on him, he selected Arethusa Falls from a short list. The hike was awesome with beaming sunshine and fairly mild temps. He was amazed at Marley, he stated very early in the hike, “that dog doesn’t like snow, he LOVES it”!!! Well he now understands the meaning of “breaking trail”. We let him break trail, as he is 25 and stated he is used to walking with 70 lbs. on his back and a rifle in his hands. He leaves for Afghanistan on Tues. and we can only hope he comes back for another hike.

Be safe Brian, see you in August!

Best wishes to Brian and I hope he looks forward to coming back for more hiking. Some people think it's even more fun in the summer without the rifle and 70 lbs!

If there were a smilie for a salute and a prayer I'd use it. Thank you soldier!