South America Trip Recommendations (Machu Pichu)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignslow

Reaction score
Planning a trip to South America to do Machu Pichu via the Inca Trail. Looking for other recommendations for additional activities while "in the area". Other than wanting to do Machu Pichu I have not looked into it very much, but friends are planning a trip to South America and (in addition to Machu Pichu) are planning on doing a more cultural leaning itinerary (cuisine, museums, etc...) whereas we would prefer a more outdoors/adventure related trip.

I'm interested in any advice regarding the Inca Trail as well as any other suggestions for things to do.

Thanks in advance!

Back when I was in the Peace Corps in Bolivia, I traveled to Machu Picchu. VERY beautiful... We slept out in the ruins - no longer allowed.

An other nice place to visit is Cuzco - you will likely travel through it on your way to/from Machu Picchu. If scheduling allows, stay in Cuzco on June 21st which is the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere. There is a major sun festival called Inti Raime at the Sacsahuaman Ruins. (To the Incans, the sun was their primary god.) Great if you are interested in cultural things.

Have a great trip.

I went to Machu Picchu in 1966 on a high school spring break trip. I was living in La Paz at the time, so not quite as exotic as it sounds; in any event, definitely see Cuzco, you will probably be staying there. If you have time, take the train to Puno on Lake Titicaca and then the boat to the Bolivian side and visit the ruins at Tiahuanaco. In those days, the boat was a steamer, but I think it is long gone. Bolivian politics is a little sketchy these days, so keep that in mind.

1. Flying directly from Lima to Cusco was a mistake. Altitude sickness is no fun. Take the bus, if you can, or at least go to the Sacred Valley before Cusco. In Cusco, don't miss Sacsayhuaman. In the Valley, visit Ollantaytambo and just keep on hiking uphill, you'll keep finding more cool stuff.

2. You now need a separate ticket to climb Huayna Picchu, make sure you get that in advance.

3. If you have a car and time, some of my favorite peruvian sites were the dunes at Huacachina and the islands off of Paracas.

Last edited:
+1 on altitude sickness. I've had HAPE (or something like it) twice. I was fortunate. Both times I was in La Paz and both times wound up in the hospital. I was a teenager at the time, so it wasn't age related. The second time almost killed me, it was that serious, so don't take it lightly. When I went to Machu Picchu, I had been living in La Paz for about a year, so I was fully acclimated. My house was at 11.5K, so going higher was not that big a deal.

You might want to think about taking the Salkanty trail to the Inca trail - it adds a couple of days. Did this several years ago unfortunately we ran into a freak blizzard and had to turn back on the third day (Inca trail was also closed due to snow) this never happens .......
You can also check with some of the guide groups in Cusco - there are lots of areas to hike in that area.
Also hike Mt. Machu Picchu - you don't need any type of ticket and the view is totally awesome. Everyone runs to Huayna Picchu but this is a great hike. Plan to spend more than one day at Macchu Picchu it is an amazing place that is hard to do in just one day. You can stay in town for like $12.00 a night.