South and North Twin Mountains hike.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farrell

Reaction score
Name of mountain(s): South and North Twin Mountains
Name of trail(s): Gale River, Garfield Ridge, Twinway, N. Twin Spur, N. Twin.
Hikers name: Farmer Bob and Jenifer
Hike date(s): 10/15/06
Weather and trail conditions: It started out cold with clear blue skies, then cloudy, overcast and snow. All trails were in good condition with two blow downs right next to each other on the way down the N. Twin trail before the first stream crossing.
Total miles hiked: 11
Trip report: We left early and spotted Jenifer’s car at Haystack Rd. Then we drove over to the Gale River trailhead and geared up. We were on the trail by 8:25am.
The Gale River trail was covered with leaves and slippery. We started heading up a steep section and there was snow on the sides of the trail. When we reached an opening in the trail, we could see that all of the trees at higher elevation were covered in snow. The higher we went up the trail, the more snow there was, but it wasn’t on the trail. Jenifer said, “It’s October, what’s this white stuff?”. The way the snow was on the pine trees looked surreal.
We reached the Garfield Ridge trail and took a short break.
There was a dusting of snow on sections of the trail.
When we got to Galehead Hut, we ate lunch. We started eating outside but it started to get cold so we went inside.
After lunch, we got on the Twinway and headed towards S. Twin.
Pretty soon there was snow on the trail. Also there was ice on the boulders and rocks on the trail. There was a section about 100 yards that was very icy. We took our time and made it through. There was ice in sections all the way up to S. Twin.
We made it to the summit and the wind picked up quite a bit and it was very cold. Even though it was overcast, we still had a great view from the summit, but of course Mt. Washington and the President’s were covered in a black cloud. We took a few pictures then headed towards N. Twin.
The snow was off the trail by the time we reached the col. On the way up, we thought we reached the summit a few times when the trail was above the trees. Then we reached the wooded summit. We went the short side path to see the view, but there was no view.
There were many slippery spots on the way down N. Twin. Once we were off the steep section, the trail didn’t have any snow on it. It was still overcast. While heading down, something was falling very slowly from the sky. At first it looked like pollen but it was snow. It was coming down very slow. It was neat.
The first crossing of the stream was a challenge. It took us a few minutes to figure it out. Jenifer went over a downed pine tree and I found a way through the stream, but my boot got wet. Then we got to the second stream and another challenge. But the most challenging stream crossing was the last one. Jenifer lead the crossing and she got on a boulder and had nowhere to go. She decided to jump from that boulder to a much smaller one about five feet away. She worked up her courage and jumped. When she made it, she was very excited. I went over to the same boulder, worked up my courage, took a few steps back, and jumped. I made it. No more stream crossings.
The last section of the N. Twin trail went fast. Towards the end Jenifer’s car was in site and we picked up the pace a bit.
We made it back in one piece.
This hike had the most varied weather and terrain that we have done yet. It started off sunny and blue skies, cold, partly cloudy, cloudy, overcast, snow, then partly cloudy. The terrain went from wet and muddy, to ice and snow, back to wet and muddy.
Another excellent day in the mountains.

Check out our photo’s at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/554888168aeACaN