South Sugarloaf, Zealand Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Today I got to hike with one of the great NH mountain Hikers, Ray Chaput.
Ray is offically know as the the 2nd person to finish the NH 3000 footers, and the first person to make and place signs at the summits of these peaks.
We started at Zealand road, and headed due west through mostly open forest, filled with lots of hobblebush and moose droppings. We asended up the peak, were we encounted lots of rotten rock, ledge and pink lady slippers. After 2 hours on we summited, South Sugarloaf is a mostly open summit, with small brush. We came upon the summit cairn, at which was a mayonaisse jar, and a canister. Sadly the dry canister just contained a pen, and the wet mayonaisse jar had the sign in log. This being my first bushwhack, I did not bring a new writing pad (next time I will).
We sat and enjoyed the views and rested on the warm, dry rocks with views of North Hale, North Twin, Washington, and the Rosebrook Range.
After an hour we headed down and to the right shooting for, but not wanting to hit the Hale Brook Trail.
The woods down were full of Red and White Lady Slippers, not in large clumps but every 20 feet or so another would pop up. Eventually we crossed a large brook, then ended up on some land recently logged. We followed this to the Hale brook Trail head.
It was a great day to be outside, even with the bugs. I had great company, and got lots of great Bushwhacking Tips.
WSC

This is interesting. Isn't South Sugarloaf just a barely distinguishable bump on the north shoulder of Mt Hale? I don't understand why there would be a jar with a register there. It doesn't have anything close to a 200' col.

More like about a 54' col:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.23229&lon=-71.51485&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

What peaks did Ray put signs on? I have heard of signs being placed on West Garfield Ridge Peak and Wold Cub, but they aren't there anymore and in all my bushwhacks in NH (24 peaks total) I have only seen a sign on Duck Pond Peak.

He sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for the trip report!

Ray is still in NH, but he is thinking about moving into a retirement place either in NH, Colorado, or some other place, as he tells me he is 75 years old.
It will be our loss whereever he retires to.
WSC

I started doing the NH 3ks in the early 80's, so I have had the pleasure of seeing many of his NH summit signs, I will try to collect some of my pics of them. The effort he put in is truly amazing. I am under the impression he did most of the peaks solo, which is incredible. A true legend of NH bushwacking. I am in awe of his accomplishments.