Southern Catskills 1/28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeOneill

Reaction score
Over the hill middle aged class B hiker looking to do 6 to 8 hours in the Southern Catskills Saturday, January 28. Optimistically at the trailhead by 8-9 and back no later than 4. Maybe do Big Indian & Fir or ????

MikeOneill said:
Over the hill middle aged class B hiker looking to do 6 to 8 hours in the Southern Catskills Saturday, January 28. Optimistically at the trailhead by 8-9 and back no later than 4. Maybe do Big Indian & Fir or ????

3500 Club is doing North Dome and Sherrill 1/28. PM for details.

Mike / Tom

I would be interested in hooking up for either one of these hikes. I was up on Windham last Sunday. Zero snow except right on the peak. Any idea how much snow is in the mountains from the last storm? I presently do not own snowshoes or crampons. Snowshoes are in the mail.

George

Doodles, as of last sunday on SW Hunter there was hard crusty snow from 3500 feet on, easily managable with some kind of traction device, (yaktrax, stablicers) maybe even better than crampons. Snowshoes were surely not indicated. I cant see that the recent snow here in albany dumped any appreciable amount on the peaks. Brian

doldreo said:
Doodles, as of last sunday on SW Hunter there was hard crusty snow from 3500 feet on, easily managable with some kind of traction device, (yaktrax, stablicers) maybe even better than crampons. Snowshoes were surely not indicated. I cant see that the recent snow here in albany dumped any appreciable amount on the peaks. Brian

They definitely got some wet snow several days ago, and then at least 4" of new powder the last 2 days. I drove thru it! :eek: :D

Depending on where you go, there could be anywhere from 4'' to 12" new fluffy snow on top of the crusty stuff from before. Storms were spotty, one area getting several heavy squalls, a few miles away little. Temps predicted for high 30's , 40's sat.
I live in the NW Cats.

You may see me wandering around up there. I am thinking about hiking Big Indian and Eagle and possibly Doubletop on 1-28. Yup, I am over the hill for sure and about 20 years past my prime. But I don't think I ever hit my prime. :eek:

Last edited: