Spaulding, Sugarloaf and Redington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randalls

Reaction score
Hiked up Sugarloaf from Caribou Valley Road. We veered off the trail at one poiint, and had to bushwack up the ravine until we reconnected with the AT. Sugarloaf was quite a letdown considering how much garbage is on top of a once incredible peak. Spaulding had eight foot pines on the summit, so it didnt matter that we were in the clouds. We spent the night at the Spaulding Mt Campsite. We had our tents, but considering the chances of thundrshowers, I figured the lean-to would have been a better bet.

We didnt see any hikers on the first day until some thru hikers trickeled in. Tea-Cozy, From Maryland, was headed northbound, while Birches (Conn), Megapixel and Shirtless (NC) were southbound. Its always a good time hanging out with them and listening about their trip.
We hit Mt. Abraham first thing in the morning, than headed home.

Took about an hour to drive just over four hours on the CVR. I brought a couple of 2"X12" boards to get the Hundai over, well, everything. I would not suggest this road to anyone unless they have a full sized truck.
Due to getting lost and not starting until noon the first day, it threw our whole trip off. We weren't able to get Abraham until the second day. The plan was that we were to spend night two in the Crockers, but it didnt work out. Looks like were doing them next weekend, probably from the Northern section of the AT. I think the Hundai took way too much abuse on this trip.
Overall, I underestimated the trip. Minimal switchbacks. Mostly strait and relentless. This is the first overnight of ours since 09, so we were pretty slow. Considering the weather forecast, we were pretty blessed by only getting drizzled on. It seemed like the whole time, the sky was going to open up on us.
Overall, it was great. A successful failure.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580362681RXQuCx