Springtime Hike to Garfield, 3/22/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
March 22, 2014: Garfield

Trails: Gale River Road, Mt. Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail

Summits: Garfield

Hikers: Jessica Davis, Larry Donoghue, Keith Malone, David Chase, and me

The calendar indicates March 20 was the start of spring, but it’s a slow start. Since she was not heading back south after the hike, Jessica followed me to the trailhead. We arrived to the entrance road, I pulled the truck in and we both decided it was no place for a low-clearance vehicle. We took Jessica’s car to the plowed area at the end of Trudeau Road - Five Corners. The trailhead lot and entry road had not been plowed after the storm a few days earlier and it was not a place for a car. Keith was already there going through his final hike prep, Dave and Larry weren’t far behind.

A few minutes after the planned start we were hiking. The first 1.2 miles were a road walk on Gale River Loop Road to the summer trailhead for Mt. Garfield Trail. The snow was packed and solid; we were able to bare boot it to the trailhead. This short warm-up didn’t take long and in twenty minutes we were starting up Mt. Garfield Trail. Keith took the lead and set a good pace for the hike. We made our way through the early part of the hike past the three crossings and well into the low climb through the open hardwoods. Eventually it was time for a quick break. We were enjoying pretty nice conditions with very little wind. Based on the forecast for the day that wasn’t going to last.

We finished making our way through the hardwoods and into the switchbacks in the conifers at the upper Mt. Garfield Trail. We reached a point where there was a concern about the softness of the trail and we pulled out the snowshoes before causing damage. By then I was in front trying to find a pace that was comfortable. We kept making stops as needed and making our way up the trail. First, the noise started. The wind noise was significant at times. It was close overhead and loud. Eventually, we climbed into the wind and found blowing snow. We met three others that had gone out ahead of us that morning now on their descent. After a brief visit we all continued on our hikes. The wind and drifting it caused were impressive. As we hiked along there were places where fresh tracks from the other three were not obvious. And, there were places where the trail was completely drifted in not long after three hikers had passed through. Some of the drifts had already become big. Sometimes, the unexpected happens fast; I guess that’s the way life is – the good and bad. We continued and met one more hiker on his descent.

We generally just hiked to the junction with Garfield Ridge Trail making stops as needed. Eventually the trees loaded up with snow, the wind and blowing snow and ice increased, and we pulled out added layers for the conditions. At the trail junction we made one last stop before the final climb to the summit.

To this point we enjoyed terrific trail conditions. From the junction to the summit was more of the same with no ice. Snowshoes did the job for the steep climb. The wind was swirling as we climbed the final .2 to the summit. As we approached the open summit the wind became a steady and strong southerly wind with lots of blowing ice. The conditions managed to limit our stay on the summit. We stepped onto the open area, climbed to the summit, and got the usual pictures. Soon we were on our way back down.

Soon after leaving the summit we met another pair on their final approach. The trip down to the Mt. Garfield – Garfield Ridge trails junction was steep and fast. Again out of the severe conditions we made one more stop for refreshment and were soon on our exit hike to the trailhead.

The trip out went quickly. We had a trail that was firm, offered great traction for the snowshoes, and allowed us to move as fast as we wanted. There were only a few stops on the way down. As we descended the temperature seemed to come up a little and the snow became sticky. Again I experienced snow loading on my MSR’s. A short distance past the third crossing, along with Larry and Dave, I retired the snowshoes for the day. The trail was solid and snowshoes weren’t needed. From there we had an easy cruise back to the summer trailhead. The closer we got the louder they got. The “they” was passing snowmobiles; a short section of the road is also a snowmobile trail. There were only a few and the operators were all very respectful of the foot traffic.

Before the final 1.2 to the vehicles Jessica retired her snowshoes as well and we were on our way. Soon we were stepping into the winter trailhead parking area. Packing didn’t take long. We all said our goodbyes, retrieved Jessica’s car from Five Corners, and took off for our evening destinations.

Thanks to everybody for a good day on Garfield. I really enjoyed everything about the hike, especially the good company of Jessica, Larry, Keith, and Dave. Hopefully we are all able to get together for another one very soon.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

I was up there the previous day with a friend, we saw 7 others on the trail. Got to the top and stayed for a few very windy minutes and were treated to great views of the inside of a cloud. Fortunately I had climbed it a few weeks earlier and got the great views and no wind that day

I was up there the previous day with a friend, we saw 7 others on the trail. Got to the top and stayed for a few very windy minutes and were treated to great views of the inside of a cloud. Fortunately I had climbed it a few weeks earlier and got the great views and no wind that day
I’m thankful for Summerset Banks and her two companions (sorry, I don’t have the names) that got out there after the storm and broke out the trail. I know what the snow conditions were like on Thursday (the day before your hike) and this trio did some hard work. The general accumulation was enough but the drifting they must have found at the higher elevations in the switchbacks had to be really tough going.

I’d like to extend my thanks to all three of you.

Well done!

Also, the people that followed did their part. The people that should have been on snowshoes were on snowshoes. I don’t recall seeing a single posthole on the hike. What a treat to hike a trail in such terrific condition!

Let’s all hope the trail survives in this condition for a while.

;)

You're very welcome Earl! Glad you enjoyed the broken trail! Fellow gridiots, Bill and Diane Schor (Schorman and Lady Di) were my extraordinary companions for the day. Yes, the drifts up in the upper switchbacks were something else - well over 12" in some places and there were several places where between the snowpack and the drifts didn't look like the trail went through there at all. We had a good day, though, and enjoyed the snow.

……
Fellow gridiots, Bill and Diane Schor (Schorman and Lady Di) were my extraordinary companions for the day.
…..
Thanks to fellow gridiots Schorman & Lady Di as well!

……
Yes, the drifts up in the upper switchbacks were something else - well over 12" in some places and there were several places where between the snowpack and the drifts didn't look like the trail went through there at all.
……
I was really surprised at the speed things changed on the trail. On our ascent we met the other group of three and solo hiker in the lower switchbacks. By the time we reached the upper switchbacks the trail was completely gone – no real sign of where it went. At the first place that was drifted in there are two openings in the trees that could both be seen as the trail corridor. We had knowledge of the route and stayed on-course; others might be confused.

From there to the summit wasn’t far and didn’t take long, but by the time we returned the trail was again obliterated with drifting. That was after yet another pair had passed through on their ascent. There was also a section in the lower switchbacks that had drifted in.

As I mentioned in the report….

Sometimes, the unexpected happens fast; I guess that’s the way life is – the good and bad.

:(

Yes, thanks to you three. I actually read your trip report prior to my trip. It is because of you I picked Garfield, even though I hiked it 2 weeks earlier. Everyone was on snowshoes that day, except one. I was filling in any post holes I saw as I was going up and back.
Mike Z

You're welcome, Mike Z! Thanks for filling in those postholes, keeps all the future hikers from busting an ankle.