Springtime in the Adirondacks, and a little Pine Marten attack!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
Hello there, everyone! We had an absolutely extraordinary weekend! Being back at school, and no longer on break, I wanted to hit our last 5 (before our finish) in one weekend, to minimize on the driving time. So with the help of Charlie (stokel), we planned a nice big trip. Here is our story:

My dad and I awoke at 2:30am Friday to begin our journey. After breakfast, some good conversation, and final gear organization, we were on our way driving through the warm morning. The road into Upper Works was very icy, and even going very slowly we slid all over the place. This made our arrival time at the Tahawus Tract parking lot a little later than usual, but we had all day, and no place we had to be, so it worked out pretty nicely. We suited up with our heavy packs, and hit the rain-soaked trail. We partook in the blessing of very little rain on the way in, only a few light sprinkles every now and then (usually right after I made a comment like “hey, it’s not raining at all!” - figures).

The hike in was un-eventful, but still very enjoyable. It was warm, in the mid 30s, and everything was ice encrusted. The trees looked like dull crystal, barley shimmering in the overcast morning light. As the day progressed the temperature rose and the ice began to melt. This provided a unique situation of not having to be in the rain but become totally drenched anyway. We arrived at the Flowed Lands mid-afternoon (parking lot departure of 7, Flowed Lands at 9:30 as I recall). After ditching our big packs and strapping on our day packs, we began our ascent of Marshall in high spirits.

Marshall was a very unique climb. I have never spent so much time hiking on an actual brook, much less a brook with unique ice. For at least half of the hike we simply trudged up the middle of Herbert Brook, with mist rolling in and out, reminding me of a land out of Lord Of The Rings. The remainder of the climb after we left the brook was still simple, as the trail was broken and fairly well packed down. By noontime we were happily on the summit, drenched from melted ice on the trees and haze that hung in the air, but happy none-the-less.

Marshall Trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqev4WNBUx8

The hike down was typical. All the tree branches that had smacked me in the face on the way up did so again, and the spruce traps that I had fallen into told all their buddies about me, thus giving me many more to become ensnared in. My dad used crampons on the way down Herbert Brook, and rubbed it in my face that whenever I wanted crampons, I didn’t bring them, and whenever I brought them expecting to need them, they weren’t necessary. This proved true for the rest of the weekend…at least I’m consistent. We arrived back at our overnight packs by 1:30, and felt surprisingly good. So we decided to hike to the Uphill Lean-to, which would place us closer to our goals the next day.

Man, that was a LONG mile and a half. It seemed to take an extensive amount of time, and I was overjoyed to reach the lean-to and get that pack off my back. I think this is the farthest I’ve hiked in the Adirondacks in winter with a full pack, a little over 8 miles, and ALL uphill! Yet…after unloading our things, setting up the tent (the lean-to was full), and having some good food, my dad suggested that we hike Cliff as well, to make the next day less challenging. Boy that father of mine is great! So we grabbed our day packs again, and headed up Cliff!

Cliff, I must say, made me a little grumpy. I had hiked 8 miles with a full pack, plus the extra 3 miles up and back Marshall, so I was a little sore. After that long, steep part I was ready to be on the summit. But, since I hadn’t done any research into what the hike was like, I didn’t know that we had the “privilege” of going back DOWN and then UP again! This was rather annoying, and I was more than ready to reach the summit when we did, an hour after leaving the Uphill Lean-to. On top, however, my mood improved as I witnessed the thick clouds pour over surrounding peaks, as if they were being sucked into the valleys by some unseen force. It took us an hour to get back down, and once again…it would have been nice to have my crampons (which my dad used).

Back at the lean-to, we met some new friends! Gene, Fred, and Kevin were spending the weekend there, and were very pleasant and entertaining company. John (canoejr) was also there, and would be joining us for our climbs the following day. We all chatted, laughed, cooked, told stories, and generally had a great time. A little while later, Charlie showed up after hiking in from the parking lot as soon as he could get out of classes that morning, thus beginning his week-long Spring Break trip.

After organizing everything, saying goodnight and changing into dry clothing (did I mention everything was drenched), we hit the hay. Then the real fun began. Several people on other forums had warned me about the pine martens. Well, I was ready for them (or so I thought), and hung my drybag full of food from a tree. I didn’t bother getting a canister, because they’re expensive and I didn’t want to carry it…plus I figured with my incredible hanging skills, I’d be fine. I had passed along friends helpful advice to my dad about the martens, which he chose to ignore (?). Around midnight, we were awoken to the sound of footsteps. My dad asked who was there, and receiving no response, shinned his light outside. There, to our surprise, was his pack, hanging from a tree, and spazing out on us COMPLETELY, as if it were a living creature. Pine Martens. We both yelled at it to get out, as my dad got out of his bag and ran out to ward off the beast. I smugly recollected how I had hung my food up well, and was having no problems with the pesky rodents.

Back in the tent, and two sandwiches short, my dad was still in pretty good spirits. We slowly began to drift off to sleep, when suddenly the noises were back. I sat up, shone my light out again, and saw…to my humble disbelief…a pine marten sitting on my dry bag, swinging back and forth, and looking very pleased with himself. He had climbed out on the limb, down my rope, and was now clawing my expensive Sea To Summit bag with all my food for the weekend in it! Now it was personal. I charged out of the tent, guns blazing, making enough noise to wake up anyone sleeping back at the Flowed Lands, and verbally chewed the heck out of that stupid weasel. It scurried up a tree, and sat their mockingly…rubbing it in my face that I had not brought a canister, and had then been haughty about my food hanging job. I yelled the little bugger to kingdom come, and when I could no longer see his beady little eyes, I retreated to my tent, with all my food under my arm. He had made a bung of small dents in my bag, but thankfully had not punctured it…which would have served me right.

After than exciting experience we slept well, and by 8 the next morning were happily hiking towards Four Corners with John and Charlie. Saturday was BEAUTIFUL! We were granted a rich blue sky, balmy temperatures, and vibrant sun. It was simply like springtime for the Adirondacks. We made very good time, and before I knew it we were at Lake Tear Of The Clouds. We couldn’t stop mentioning what a gorgeous day it was, and how much we loved being out there. Soon, we were at Four Corners, and a short while later, were on our way up Skylight.

The winds were perfect, with a light to gentle breeze and very few gusts. The sun shone down on us, and illuminated the far off peaks. A lot of the snow and ice had melted since last week, so crampons were not needed (but of course, I was carrying them then). After what seemed like very little time, we were standing on the summit of Skylight, with nothing but a moderate breeze to keep the heat down. We spent quite awhile on the top, taking pictures and enjoying the low-lying clouds in the far-off distance. I experimented with different colored photos, trying to capture the awesome exposures a friend of mine got last week (I pretty much failed, but some came out okay I think.

Summit of Skylight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5qDv6RJ1w

Then, we were traveling back down...ON OUR SLEDS! Back at Lake Tear, we began our ascent of Gray. This trail was also broken, though the snow was becoming saturated with water and spruce trap ambushes abounded (Charlie fell in his first one, and I caught one that came up to my upper chest!). I don’t recall what time we reached the summit of Gray, but it didn’t take us too long. By the time we hit the zenith, I was wearing only my long underwear and a t-shirt. We spent quite awhile enjoying the nice day while on top, as clouds were beginning to role in on the horizon. When we descended, we took an alternative route that ended up being rather exciting with steep ice walls and deep sink holes.

Summit of Gray: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDNdLUchXzE

Back at the trail, we got out our sleds! From right below Lake Tear to the Intersection of trail 121 and 73 we sledded…the entire way! These runs just keep getting better and better. Before I knew it we were back at our campsite, and grabbing some food before our final summit. By this time it was almost completely overcast, and the air was beginning to have a chill to it. Charlie and John headed up Cliff, while my dad and I headed up Redfield (sometime around 4). The hike up Redfield was very challenging owing to our fairly long morning. After passing the ADK Ladies and crazymama (very nice to meet you, Lyle), hiking up some prolonged steep parts, and watching the sky begin to shift from white to gray, we arrived at the pinnacle of Redfield! YAY! Our 45th winter High Peak.

Summit of Redfield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVU7vYpOWmA

We grabbed some photos, cracked some more inside jokes, and then took off on our sleds, just as snow began to fall. Most of our descent was spent in the snow, as big, fluffy, wet flakes fell from the sky, shaken about by the increasing wind. By the time we reached the lean-to, however, the snow and wind had stopped, thankfully. We ate a hardy dinner left for us by John (he hiked out, and was kind enough to give us some great, homemade dinner), said our goodnights and goodbyes to Charlie, Ryan (who hiked in that afternoon), and the three other gentleman, and hopped into our tent for a great nights sleep.

It poured rain most of the night, but we stayed dry; oh, and no pine martens bothered us that night. The next morning, a 4am, we got up, packed up, and hiked out. The rain had stopped about 30 minutes before we left, so that was a very nice blessing. We had some very nice views of the sunrise at the Flowed Lands, and 3 hours after we left Uphill, we were back at our car. What an amazing trip, I had so much fun. I can’t wait for our finish next Saturday…but you’ll be hearing more about that later. Sorry for the long trip report…but we were out there for three days. I hope you found this somewhat interesting!

A few more photos: http://www.adkforum.com/photos/v/ADK88/Marshall+Cliff+Redfield+Gray+Skylight++March+6-8/

Nice report guys, is the marshall herdpath still going over the little bump? Our party didn't bring crampons on my winter finish so we skirted the herbert brook til we came upon our old tracks on the way up (since we did a lollipop loop).

My summit shot on gray from last winter shows the yellow summit disk barely above the snow line.. Nice VFTT Shirt :)

Jay

Nice report guys, is the marshall herdpath still going over the little bump? Our party didn't bring crampons on my winter finish so we skirted the herbert brook til we came upon our old tracks on the way up (since we did a lollipop loop).

My summit shot on gray from last winter shows the yellow summit disk barely above the snow line.. Nice VFTT Shirt :)

Jay

Yes, it still does go over the bump. Fun times I suppose. I was glad to have MSRs on the brook, otherwise it would not have been that fun.

I like my new shirt! REPRESENT!!

Rob (Viewseeker), what do you mean? Are you talking about next Saturday...?

Nice report & fun videos.

FWIW, if might be worth the hassle to take off your snowshoes before sledding. The most frequently reported injuries on a lot of the western volcanoes are broken ankles from when climbers attempt to glissade with crampons & then catch a point; I would think your MSR's are probably aggressive enough to give you a similar injury. Just something to consider.

Anyway, fun pics & vids. Congratulations on your climbs.

Matt

Last edited:
Yes, it still does go over the bump. Fun times I suppose. I was glad to have MSRs on the brook, otherwise it would not have been that fun.

I like my new shirt! REPRESENT!!

Rob (Viewseeker), what do you mean? Are you talking about next Saturday...?

I was thinking there was more to the story..it seemed to just end after you went to bed....

I was thinking there was more to the story..it seemed to just end after you went to bed....

Check the last paragraph, my friend. There really wasn't much to write about after we went to bed. We just got up, and hiked out. :)

P.S. Thanks, Matt, for the advice. I've actually tried that, and I have more control over the turns and stops with my snowshoes on. I keep the feet up for the most part, so I've not had any injuries. I would NOT sled with crampons on, that'd be too dangerous for me. I appreciate your concern.

Last edited: