Starr King and Waumbek at Sunset. 8-7-2010. Great visability!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
A bit delayed but here is a report of Starr King and Waumbek. (spelling opps in the title!)

After a long drive up Meghan and I arrived at Living Waters Campground in Twin Mountain at about 3:30pm, and hour and a half later than I had anticipated to to traffic, construction, etc. Part of a longer vacation I planned a few hikes at the start.

We set up camp and go to the Starr King trailhead at about 4:45:eek: a bit late. We knew we'd be lamping down, but I was anxious to get some views into the Greens at dusk. There was only one other car at the trailhead, which was litterally just outside of Jefferson. The views of the Presi's were incredible on the way there and it just made it all the more exiting.

A short way up the trail we scene what appeared to be an old well.

The trail is well maintained and fairly well defined. The blazing a little old, but the way though the forest was clear. We encountered very few bugs, despite a few damp areas on the first half on the accent. The hike itself is a very steady, straightforward and consistent uphill walk. There are no other junctions. Other than the change in forest it's just a pleasant uphill walk.

The views are not panoramic from Starr King or Mt. Waumbek. I got the feeling that the forest had taken back a bit of sky in recent decades and that years ago the view would have been a bit more open.

That aside the views of the Northern Presi's are spectacular. The prominence of the range here is so clear and the range has a very rugged alpine look. I got some spectacular views and shots into Vermont, with Mansfield, Camels Hump, and Jay Peak being clearly visable and easily identifiable.

I did a quick solo trail run over to Waumbek's summit and snapped a few picks and bagged my 39th of the NH 48. I snapped a few more picks of the Greens from Starr King on the return trek and quickly headed down. I caught up with Meghan at about 8:30 and we arrived back at the trailhead at 8:55. The biggest surpise was that I left Wambecks summit barely an hour earlier, with a healthy stop on Starr King.

I knew I was going to be a bit sore for a planned #40 on Carrigain in the morning.

Check out the sunset pictures into VT!

Pics are here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578377618AGnbTE

Last edited: