Stubb Hill

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerDoc

Reaction score
We thought the first day of winter deserved something special this year. Stubb Hill 3627', is the most remote of the NHHH to climb. This is because it is located in Pittsburg, a location that some think is part of Canada. :D It is also a long way from any highway. I remember Gene Daniell saying that it was the peak that was most frequently the last peak attained by peakbaggers trying to finish the NHHH. Docross and I decided to put together a trip to this peak on Dec. 22. We initially had 7 people interested enough to sign on. This shrunk to five when push came to shove. Long story short, 11 hours, 20.2 miles. Half the group skiied, half booted. A trip to remember for awhile. Too bad I dropped the camera in the snow at mile 3 so no more photos after that. Summitted at 2:05 pm. The new register placed by Marchowes group in Sept. '07 was in fine shape. Out by headlamps. A 20 minute stop for field repair of ski binding about 3 miles from the end was exciting.

HikerDoc said:
Half the group skiied, half booted.

Thanks for leading this trip, HikerDoc.

Before one of the sharp mathematicians on this Board questions how a seven-person group can be divided in half, I will admit that I ditched by x-c skis on the logging roads (aka snowmobile trails) about a mile short of the bushwhack, so I am the "half." :D

Dr. D.

I did this one on the last day of winter, more daylight. 9.5 hours driving and 9.5 hours hiking

What route did you take? We drove in a couple miles but 20 miles sounds awfully far.

Stubb in Winter

;)

We parked at route 3/ Magalloway road and walked down to the bridge over CT river. Turned left and walked to Smith Camps. Turned left and walked up to gate 66. Turned right and walked south to the height of land. Turned east and walked until the road started going south again. Then sharp left, up the hill, slabbing along the western slope of N. Stubb. Then finally to the col between Stubb and N. Stubb. Docross used his GPS and has the entire trip downloadable. He is the one who gave the figures for total mileage. This is the same route I did in 1996, with Anne G., Tim k., John Mch., John S., and Sue E. The difference then was we were able to drive to gate 66! That was Dec. 29, 1996 and there was very little snow so the road was plowed. It rained and was a much shorter day. 3 of us bagged N. Stubb at that time. This time we had a very strong group of baggers :cool:

Last edited:
I get my trip mileages from map measurements which may be a little short but yours still sounds long

In summer we parked at SBC and took a woods road that went very near Hedgehog Nubble, went to N Stub, pond, Stub, S Stub and loop back which I listed as 11 miles

In winter we drove in a couple miles then walked to SBC, took wrong road S which came out on the far side of brook hence proved to be longer with more climb. Just went to Stub & pond, this one also figured at 11 miles since we used non-optimum route or maybe 15 miles RT from Rte.3

Someday I'm going to walk in to Magalloway, the only one of the 15 I haven't been to in winter

RoySwkr said:
I get my trip mileages from map measurements which may be a little short but yours still sounds long

In summer we parked at SBC and took a woods road that went very near Hedgehog Nubble, went to N Stub, pond, Stub, S Stub and loop back which I listed as 11 miles

In winter we drove in a couple miles then walked to SBC, took wrong road S which came out on the far side of brook hence proved to be longer with more climb. Just went to Stub & pond, this one also figured at 11 miles since we used non-optimum route or maybe 15 miles RT from Rte.3

Someday I'm going to walk in to Magalloway, the only one of the 15 I haven't been to in winter

We walked an extra 1.5 miles or so (of the 20 miles total) when we missed the left turn at the Smith Brook Cabins. So, we would have needed only about 18.5 miles if not for the diversion.