Studded Trail Runners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Have noticed some hikers using Studded Trail Runners pictured in the link below this Summer. I know it's been real wet and slippery out there but this seems boarder line not LNT. Snow and ice are one thing and we all have had our moments when surfaces are variable and have needed to trod on surfaces with spikes that are bare. But the use of this footwear in full on non frozen conditions seems a bit overkill. Any thoughts? Hoka Speedgoat 5 Gore-Tex Spike Multi Tester Review: The Dream Shoe for Any Icy Trail (or Road) Winter Throws Your Way! 7 Comparisons

That does seem a bit ridiculous but I'm no trail runner. Maybe it helps taking the bigger strides a runner takes when they're really cruising. I'd think little spikes like that would not do much on slick rock considering how small and short they are.

In the Fall/Spring I sometimes wear IceTrekkers (essentially Stream Trekkers rebanded for Winter sports) which look and attach just like micro spikes but have knurled beads as opposed to spikes. They actually work fantastic on slick rocks, mud, wet leaves, slime, etc. but only if the slope is not terribly steep. The steeper or more angled the spot you are stepping on they go from very useful to completely useless. I like them on low angle ledge and jagged rocks, particularly above tree line (i.e. the rock piles of the Presidentials), on days where there is a glazing of ice on everything and spikes don't really do anything. I used them once on a steep slope of wet pine needles and it helped too.

That does seem a bit ridiculous but I'm no trail runner. Maybe it helps taking the bigger strides a runner takes when they're really cruising. I'd think little spikes like that would not do much on slick rock considering how small and short they are.

In the Fall/Spring I sometimes wear IceTrekkers (essentially Stream Trekkers rebanded for Winter sports) which look and attach just like micro spikes but have knurled beads as opposed to spikes. They actually work fantastic on slick rocks, mud, wet leaves, slime, etc. but only if the slope is not terribly steep. The steeper or more angled the spot you are stepping on they go from very useful to completely useless. I like them on low angle ledge and jagged rocks, particularly above tree line (i.e. the rock piles of the Presidentials), on days where there is a glazing of ice on everything and spikes don't really do anything. I used them once on a steep slope of wet pine needles and it helped too.
I am seeing regular hikers not trail runners wearing them. Not that it makes any difference to the potential
impact. Yea Spring and fall are one thing but I am talking about right now in the middle of the summer folks are using studs. IMO we should all be giving the trails a break from spikes this time of year.

Last edited:
I am seeing regular hikers not trail runners wearing them. Not that it makes any difference to the potentials
impact. Yea Spring and fall are one thing but I talking about right now in the middle of the summer folks are using studs. IMO we should all be giving the trails a break from spikes this time of year.
Sorry. I guess when I saw the model you linked to I just assumed trail runners. For normal hiking that seems like total nonsense. Or possibly they only have one pair of shoes for all around use due to a limited gear budget? I would be curious to know how and why that trend got started. Definitely potentially bad LNT implications with the way people just walk wherever the hell they want now.

I would be curious to know how and why that trend got started.
With so many people wearing trail runners now my guess it is just an extension of the behavior. Many folks are anti boot. Which actually have better soles for wet weather sans spikes.

I've never tried the spike thing - didn't like the idea of having sharp bits on my shoes (I'd probably rip up my floor or do something dumb like that). I've been using the Salomon Speedcross which have beefy lugs and served me well thus far up there.

I don't see that it's any different than trekking poles (which make even bigger holes) or microspikes and crampons in the shoulder season. The trails are there to use and that's the purpose for their existence. To be perfectly honest, I think LNT goes way too far and I'm the opposite of a diehard enthusiast. That being said, I clear sticks, clean water bars and do try and stay on the trails even when they are wet, because as much as I don't mind beating up a trail, I do mind making detours and leaving the trail corridor, which will only encourage others to do so. Just my 2 cents.

Damage from spikes and poles is real. Many of the standard 4K routes are already trashed, but some secondary trails have stretches that still have that valuable layer of fibrous duff/soil that holds the underlying base in place during runoff events (as well as droughts).

Trail creep, particularly from spikes and poles, is also real and a big threat to our trails.

The best thing we can do is be considerate of where/how we walk, and avoid trails when fragile (such as the last month and a half).

Maybe I misunderstood the point skiguy was making but I was thinking roots, plants and "living stuff", not rocks. Scratches on rocks from spikes or trekking poles don't really bother me. Puncturing roots, punching holes in leaves and plant stems, etc. would be a concern whatever piece of gear is doing it. And with the amount of people who go off trail to avoid every minor little obstacle in their way I could see this increasing the amount of damage. Maybe not an insane, exponential increase but an increase.

If nothing else I'd think you wouldn't want to wear studded shoes because you'd wear the spikes out and make them useless pretty fast scraping over rocks and ledge. Not sure if the spikes can be replaced or if they are integrated into the sole. Still seems like overkill in my opinion but