Suffern-Bear Mountain Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_swede

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone up for a Suffern-Bear Mountain traverse in Harriman? Was supposed to do it this weekend but it was canceled last minute. Totally bummed...

Since the days are getting pretty short, the hike would start pretty early (7 AM the latest) and the last hour would probably require headlamps.

Anyone crazy enough to take me up on this offer? :D I'm looking to do this within the next couple of weeks.

What is the mileage?

I've done the traverse as an ovenight but never as a one day .

Could be fun! Some of those harriman trails are hard to follow after dark when all the oak litter is on the trails - could make things interesting!

Sabrina,

The trail is about 24 miles long. Last Spring when I did the R-D, we did it in 10.5 hours and that trail is 2 miles longer.

I did my second one earlier in the year, got 2 patches now!

I think we did it from 6am to 5pmish but you would be faster as we stuck together, roughly and were (more than likely) a larger group..

Jay

maybe...:rolleyes:

Swede-boy, you get the prize for dangling tantalizingly difficult day hikes out there. :D Awful hard to resist...

We are busy here and there - meaning we are potentially available here and there. I'm thinking we probably wouldn't do the whole thing, but might join you for part of it? Cool with you?

Gotta go pull out my maps :D

Swede-boy, you get the prize for dangling tantalizingly difficult day hikes out there. :D Awful hard to resist...
But it's in the lame-n-tame lowlands! :rolleyes: Pingyp should be exciting.

We are busy here and there - meaning we are potentially available here and there. I'm thinking we probably wouldn't do the whole thing, but might join you for part of it? Cool with you?
Yeah, that works. I'll admit that 24 miles is a lot, especially this time of year. It makes the most sense to do the traverse on the Winter solstice. :eek: Nah, I'm kidding.

I found the SBM harder than the R-D, despite the R-D being longer, if you go N-S on both, the R-D just has some really fabulous open rock traverses towards the southern end that it makes the hike go by faster. Now, the rocks may be icy but the SB-M as it goes south kind of loses all the nice views like on West mtn. You'll get southerly views towards Suffern and NJ but the 360s and the open faces are quite absent for a bit of a stretch. There is one killer view of the big suffern interchange and the Sheraton though.

It might be wise to bring microspikes or those kinds of traction aids now, there are some tricky rocky descents off of West on the SBM that may be icy. Crampons would be overkill but microspikes might be useful..

As far as a 3rd patch, probably not! once a year is good enough for me! Let me know when you do go though... If I'm in the area I could stop by and maybe hand out trail magic...

Jay