Sugarloaf 10-26-13 via ski trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteman

Reaction score
If you like an industrial feel and easy to follow trails, with a dynamite view from the top, Sugarloaf is your mountain.

Parking Park in the 60 minute lot right near the hotel/lodge area. As long as nothing else is happening, the facility does not mind that (so I was told when I called ahead).

Trails We wandered up the Tote Road, which is just a truck road, easily found right behind the quad lift, then realized that it would be far more pleasant just to climb the grassy ski trails. We stayed right, then climbed along the ridge. You cannot get lost--go "up" the trail to the top, don't worry about which one you happen to be on. This works in reverse too. The ski trails were dry, grassy, though slightly eroded in some places.

The top is all developed with cell towers and ski facilities. I guess the good thing is that you sure do have great cell reception if you want to check in with the home front, or text a few nice images.

This is a short hike, just over 5 miles round trip. Great for folks who might be tentative about hiking because it is never too steep, not rocky or rooty at all, and the views are great.

The visibility on our hike was very good, limited by some haze and afternoon snow showers.

98/115 for me.