Suggestion's Anyone? Whiteface, Passaconaway and the Tripyramids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlawtone

Reaction score
Hey Folks...
I'm planning an overnight trip with the intentions of bagging Passaconaway, Whiteface and the Tripyramids (Sleepers too of course) I have'nt decided on where to start or finish yet, maybe Oliverian Brook and finish in Waterville Valley or perhaps the other way around, not sure yet. Anyways, I was wondering if any of the Camps (Rich, Heermance or Shehadi) are still there? Are there any flat areas near Whiteface or the Sleepers to camp? Is it legal? Are the brooks reliable at this time of year? If any fellow hikers have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it! Besides Mt. Chocurua, I've never hiked in this part of the Whites...
Matt

mlawtone said:
Anyways, I was wondering if any of the Camps (Rich, Heermance or Shehadi) are still there? Are there any flat areas near Whiteface or the Sleepers to camp? Is it legal? Are the brooks reliable at this time of year?
All of the camps you mention have been removed.

For a flat legal campsite about halfway, look near the junction of the Downes Brook Trail and head down it for water. It is also flat enough to camp on the summit of NW Sleeper :)

Apparently the 200' rule is not in effect here http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/recreation/land_above/backcountry_rules.html
and you can camp as close to the trail as you dare :)

Oliverian Brooke to Passaconaway Cutoff... take that up Passaconaway.. then head over Rollins to Whiteface.. make sure you take a look over the cliffs before heading over to Kate Sleeper Trail.

Kate Sleeper trail comes out on South tri Slide.. go across the 1st slide section to the second for your continued ascent. Then bag The tri's.

Head down Pine Bend Brook back to the Kanc and enjoy a nice 3-4 mile walk back to your car by way of the Kanc.

If you plan to descend into Waterville Valley... take Scaur Ridge down North Tri.

Not sure about campsites. There is plenty of flat space up on the Sleepers area. A small stream in early spring is probably dried up by now.

replies...

Thanks for the info Roy. Spending the night on the summit of one of the Sleepers sounds way cool... and thanks John for the route suggestions.
Matt

I seem to recall many posts from people who have stayed near the top of the Downes Brook Trail, which has water and some open camp sites. Given the trip you're doing it's really the finest spot, being in the middle of the loop.