Suggestions for a 3 day backpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Hey All
I'm getting ready to graduate and move off to another state, and am interested in doing a short backpack this month from May 14-17. Yeah, I know its a week away, but I like doing things on the spur of the moment, and I've been to busy studying to plan.

I'm toying with idea of heading up to the Daks, parking at the Garden, doing The Brothers, Slide, then winding up and over Marcy (one last time on our great state's highest) and then meandering back over to the Garden. Not so much a peakbagging adventure but more of a nostalgic walk in the DAKS before I leave NY.

Can anyone tell me what the current trail conditions are? Ice? Snow??

An alternate plan would be to hit some spots in the Whites, perhaps the AT across Kinsman, over to Garfield, then across Franconia Ridge and back down to Lincoln Woods (very loosely defined). Again, same questions apply -- trail conditions??

Just tossing these ideas around today, haven't even pulled the maps out yet, but want to avoid winterlike conditions where ever I go!

Thanks,
Sabrina

Last edited:
white's idea

No backpacking for me this year...man, that is the second time I have whined about that today. :eek:
Here is an idea that I have been tossing around...
South to North...
Hancocks thru the Bonds thru the Twins...if that is not long enough it is easy enough to throw Whiteface and/or Passaconaway onto the trip as well as the Trypyramids. You would need to do a short road walk on the Kanc (or bushwhack)...
Would be fun...long few days with great forest and views.

una_dogger said:
Hey All
I'm getting ready to graduate and move off to another state, and am interested in doing a short backpack this month from May 14-17. Yeah, I know its a week away, but I like doing things on the spur of the moment, and I've been to busy studying to plan.

I'm toying with idea of heading up to the Daks, parking at the Garden, doing The Brothers, Slide, then winding up and over Marcy (one last time on our great state's highest) and then meandering back over to the Garden. Not so much a peakbagging adventure but more of a nostalgic walk in the DAKS before I leave NY.

Can anyone tell me what the current trail conditions are? Ice? Snow??

An alternate plan would be to hit some spots in the Whites, perhaps the AT across Kinsman, over to Garfield, then across Franconia Ridge and back down to Lincoln Woods (very loosely defined). Again, same questions apply -- trail conditions??

Just tossing these ideas around today, haven't even pulled the maps out yet, but want to avoid winterlike conditions where ever I go!

Thanks,
Sabrina

I think I may be out backpacking around that area myself that weekend, but not sure exactly where I plan on going. Unfortuantly I have summer session to attend so my time is limited! From what I heard latley expect black flies, mud, ice and hard back in the higher elevations. The trail condition section is a great place to look at before you head out. Alos if your looking for more info on jsut the adks check out the adk forum ( www.adkforum.com), but then agian a bunch of the members form over there hang around here too! good luck and enjoy!

Hey thanks, ADKWiley, I *think* I may have signed up for that forum recently ! Maybe I'll see you over there. :)

Also, Chip, thanks for the link to trail conditions -- I always find the folks up at Heart Lake helpful as well.

I'm thinking I'll be staying in NY; because I'll be up in NH the following weekend.