Suggestions for an Overnighter with 5 yr Old

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for an out and back or loop type overnighter to take with my 5-year old son. He's canoe camped and car camped before and loves it, but he has not "backpacked".

I would carry most of the gear, and I'm thinking he could handle a up to about 5-mile walk in and back out the next day. A high interest camping spot would be welcomed - eg. pond, waterfall, maybe not a cliff ;) .

Probably NH destination, but I wouldn't rule out a ME, VT or even MA.

Any good ones out there?

Consider the Three Ponds Trail in the Whites-there's a shelter that overlooks a pond,and you an make a nice loop trail back(Donkey cutoff?).
Another one is Coppermine Trail-ends at Bridal Veil Falls and there's a shelter there also.
Sawyer Pond from the Sawyer pond Rd. side is about a mile in. There's several paltforms overlooking the pond,also has a shelter.
Ethan Pond is another possibility. Several platforms close to the pond,and a little over 3 miles in.
Have fun!

overnighter with a 5 year old

The above are all good suggestions- but beware the elevation gain.

lol:D :D

I like Bridalveil Falls as a destination for camping, but it is a dead end trail so if you spend 2 nights there, you can't use this for a base camp to anywhere.

Spruce brook Shelter up the Wild River Trail is a good location to camp. Gentian Pond is a good 2 night destination and a jumping off point for a day hike.

Kees Falls en route to Caribou Mountain in the Evans Notch area could be a good camping location. No shelter though. Great circular!

Also, I would avoid June - early July as the bugs might be too intense to make the trip enjoyable.

Have you considered a hut experience at Lonesome Lake (great swimming). Then climb Cannon for a day hike, (ice cream at the summit) and then take the tram down and walk back along the Pemi Trail to your car.