suggestions/recomendations for a 4-5 day Presi loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
The 20+ yo son of a good friend is planning a 4-5 day back packing hiking trip in the whites with 1-3 friends. Starting around next tues the 8th. I think they will only have 1 car so they are considering loops rather than a traverse. They were given two suggestions for a southern or northern loops which I’ll list later. He seems to be interested in doing some above tree-line peaks specifically in the presidents. I’m not that familiar with the available camping spots. I’ve mostly done overnights in the winter near the trail and once at Guyot. Our biggest concern is that if they try to do one 4 -5 day trip is the lack of an easy way to resupply. I would suggest multiple 1 – 2 day loops and possibly doing the pemi instead of the presis. I've made quite a few suggestions and pointed them to some websites already but figured I’d ask here for suggestions or pointers to previous similar threads of suggestions.

The suggested loops given them from I don't know who are: Southern:

Four days loop of the southern presidentials
Day 1: Highland Center-Webster Jackson Trail-Mt Jackson-Webster Cliff trail-nauman tentsite.
Day 2: Nauman-Webster Cliff trail-mt pierce-Crawford path-mt Eisenhower-mt Monroe-mt Washington-tuckerman ravine trail-hermit lake shelters.
Day 3: hermit lake-boott spur link-boott spur trail-Davis path-camel trail-lakes of the clouds hut-mt Monroe-Dry river trail-dry river shelter #3.
Day 4: dry river shelter-dry river trail-dry river cutoff-Mizpah cutoff-Crawford path-highland center.

Five day loop of the northern presidentials.
Day 1: Appalachia trail head-the link trail-lowe's path-the log cabin.
Day 2: log cabin-lowe's path-my Adams-star lake trail-Madison hut-mt Madison-osgood trail-oshood tentsite.
Day 3: osgood-osgood cutoff-great gulf trail-wamsutta trail-alpine garden trail-lion head trail-hermit lake.
Day 4: hermit lake-tuckerman ravine trail-mt Washington-gulfside trail-mt clay-mt Jefferson-the perch.
Day 5: the perch-Randolph path-air line trail-Appalachia.

I think the only reasonable resupply point would be humping down to Joe Dodge from Hermit Lake. but like I said I haven't done this sort of backpacking.
I have suggested that they filter and treat all water even at or (especially at) the campsites.

My friend has done some long backpacking trips with his son before but the others are probably inexperienced.
So they would be looking for suggestions for young intelligent healthy fit 20+ yos but not particularly experienced.

Thanks

Day 4: hermit lake-tuckerman ravine trail-mt Washington-gulfside trail-mt clay-mt Jefferson-the perch.

This is a great hike - seeing Tuckerman's without snow is cool, especially since it's without it for such a short time!

Here's one suggested loop:

Park at PNVC.

Day 1: Hike to Hermit Lake and spend the night there.

Day 2: Follow Tuckerman Ravine trail to Washington, then Gulfside and Randolph Path to the Perch.

Day 3: Israel Ridge trail to Adams, Star Lake trail to Madison Hut, up and down Osgood to Madison summit, then Buttress trail to Great Gulf. Camp at a designated site.

Day 4: Great Gulf trail to Old Jackson Road to PNVC.

1. This is a great time of year to be in the northern presis - much less crowded than in summer, but still mostly warm weather. A great opportunity to enjoy the Presis. I'd usually prefer the Pemi because of crowds on the Presis (and because the Pemi provides some "natural" loops with good camping spots), but this time of year, go for the Presis.

2. Four or five days - where's the need to resupply? Why are you assuming these people are incapable of packing five days' worth of food into a bag? I know they're "inexperienced", but the worst case is they go hungry. It won't kill them.

3. I like jfb's suggestion. Nice round loop, no gratuitous elevation loss, great views, reasonable amounts of effort/distance each day, easy to bail and/or get help from a ranger if things don't work the first night.

2. Four or five days - where's the need to resupply? Why are you assuming these people are incapable of packing five days' worth of food into a bag? I know they're "inexperienced", but the worst case is they go hungry. It won't kill them.
good point :) , I think that's what my friend (the dad) said too.

Update: My friend said his son and two friends ended up opting for a CW Pemi loop from LW. They spent last night at Liberty springs and should now be headed for Garfield. They expect to finish Friday. Too bad they are going to miss the 48 Flags by 1 day. - Thanks all for the suggestions and input.