summit etiquette?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I did buck mtn sunday and when I got to the top there was only one couple already there. problem was, they had the mountain rockin if you know what i mean. I had to go to corner of summit and act like nothing was happening. I felt like a kid sent to the corner. this is not a remote mtn, it gets lots of traffic. what were they thinking? you want to enjoy the view and some people just ruin it for you. what would you people have done?

why doesn't this ever happen when i hiike....i would have taken pictures then walked up and shown them.....:mad:

or go up and slap the guy a high five like in tag team wrestleing.... know where i'm going there:D

this has been on here before and i think everyone came to an agreement that this is a no-no.. only because of children that might be on the trail also.... otherwise just find a place in the woods for this....

this is what sara and i do...:D

If i was solo hiking or hiking with another adult it wouldn't be a big deal for me. In fact I would probally laugh out loud to get there attention, or say "STOP! you are doing it all wrong"

BUT.......

I tend to hike with my kids....... There would of been some words exchanged if I saw this and my kids were present.

Ease up with the kids, too . . .

brianW said:
I tend to hike with my kids....... There would of been some words exchanged if I saw this and my kids were present.
Actually, the people to exchange words with in cases like this are your kids. Think of it as a “teachable moment.”

I guess my approach would be to have the kids retreat from the summit for a bit, while letting the fully engaged couple know we’re there. Give the duo a reasonable chance to disengage and straighten up before even thinking about being confrontational over it. Not everyone who indulges in a bit of open air sport like that is a pervert or creep, so it might be a decent thing to give ‘em the benefit of a doubt on that score, until they demonstrate otherwise.

Fact is, this kind of stuff can happen at home.

Here’s an absolutely true story.

Many years ago, when our daughter, Prima Donna Grumpy was about 2-1/2 or 3 years old, Mrs. (Pretty) Grumpy and I were having an intimate moment when the house was quiet early on a Sunday morning. In the midst of this we did not hear the bedroom door open. Mrs. G nearly jumped out of her skin when she felt a tap on her shoulder and looked over to see PDG standing alongside the bed in her cute little bathrobe, looking very serious. That, of course put a halt to our adult business.

“Mom,” said PDG, with absolutely perfect word choice, “when you finish Dad will you get me breakfast?”

PDG turned out OK, by the way, morally, socially, psychologically and otherwise, despite that shocking episode.

G.

Grumpy, good point.

"I will be coming up in 5min with my kids, you will have to wait 9 months for yours......." I like it.:D

Spring is in the air! lol

There was a similar discussion to this on another site recently. Sounds like their hormones are set to the calendar :p.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't care (maybe I'd take the time to observe and offer pointers once they're through). With the probability that children or perverts could stumble on your 'event', I would think the involved would want to remain out of sight. If they chose to do it right out in the open on top of a summit, well they're either looking to get some special peak bagging recognition/status, or they're the perverts. Either way, take it 150 feet off the trail and out of sight.

Just as long as my dog didn't see it

I wouldn't let their fun chase me off a summit on a nice day.
I'd sit nearby, and take in ALL the views.
If it made them uncomfortable, well, they put themselves in that situation.

If it didn't faze them, then i'd continue to enjoy ALL the views, and probably take some pictures of all the sights, like I do on all summits.

Make them be the ones who are embarrased!

I would probably make sure they knew I was there by making a comment like:

"Are you going to be long?, cause I can come back in a few minutes"

"Are you two together?"

"Wow - that's what I call a bushwhack!"

"Would you mind taking a summit photo of me when you're done?"

"Are you aspiring Forty - Sexers?"

"How many other peaks have you done today?"

"Hi - I'll bet your not from around here"

"Black Flies must not be too bad up here today"

"Did you lose a trekking pole?"

If I was with another male hiker - "Don't you get any ideas!"

If I was with my wife - "See honey, some wives enjoy hiking!"

:D

she bangs she bangs!

i was feelin crummy all day and you guys just made my day! thanks for the laugh.
rock on :D

Have to agree, if I was with kids, I would be very upset
without them, I would sit down right next to them and start a play by play commentary on the action.

New Goals

Frankly, I was until today merely an aspiring forty-sixer. Now I realize there is a whole new dimension to conquering the peaks, and I guess I'll just have to start all over again!

-David

P.S. If you wear your bear bells that will help me know if you are approaching. I hope to not offend (or repulse) anybody!

O this thread has some gems!

on topic tho, I had a similar incident on a tower on one of the peaks in the Catskills. We made our hike up there only to find a couple at the top tier "thoroughly enjoying" the view. We waited, we stared, we made noises, we made comments, but they refused to come down and allow any others atop. After another party came and started waiting as well, we gave up and continued on our way. :mad:
And yes, as mentioned before, view and summit hogs are the absolute lowest form, especially when they are noisy, rowdy and obviously just hanging out and not enjoying the view they are denying others.
But such is life.

Hmmm, play by play commentary.~~~~~~~~~~~

Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close,
here's the throw, there's the play at the plate,
holy cow, I think he's gonna make it!

Stop right there!
I gotta know right now!
Before we go any further--!

Do you love me?
Will you love me forever?
Do you need me?
Will you never leave me?
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life?
Will you take me away and will you make me your wife?