Sunday Madness In The Daks!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Yikes stripes! I have learned to stay away from hiking in the Daks on major holidays, but I sure did not expect the mobs that permeated the DAks this past Sunday. I was flabbergasted! I am all for folks getting out and enjoying nature but this was beyond overkill. Was anyone else up there? It was nuts. I think what finally did us in was getting out to hike and an SUV pulls up and you could hear them yelling as they pulled up to park. Out pops this perfect yuppie family. I mean if you looked up yuppie you would see their picture. mom, dad & 3 kids. Well mom decides she's "cool" and is going to sing all the latest raps toons - ALL THE WAY ON THE HIKE- ALLLLLL THE WAY. It was like "god please kill me now i'm ready for those pearly gates". I'm sorry but I just couldn't take it so we turned around and found one of our "secret" hikes that only had 3 cars parked at it. A MIRACLE!
It was such a beautiful day I can see why everyone wanted to be out, but our poor Daks sure put up with a lot of abuse that day. I know this happens only rarely but with all those folks on the trail if something could go wrong it probably will. Well, all I can say is thank goodness that's over and we can get back to those wonderful days of having a summit all to ourselves! :D

So what kind of criteria would you use to select the chosen few allowed to climb? Number one I take it will be the make of their car, second???

PS:How come this is one of your signature? "Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are in the mountains.- Unknown"

Last edited:
well

why is that there is always one person out there that has to read more into something just to pick a fight. i should have known - you obviously didnt' get it. i am not going to respond and this is why i stopped partaking on this site because you can't say anything anymore without someone being rude. i give up, sorry but this site used to be fun.

I'm not trying to be rude when I say this but... What do you expect for a Holiday weekend with peak leaf color ? I wouldn't consider being anywhere near any major trailhead, or even drive Rt 73 on a Holiday weekend.

Frustrating, sure. But lesson learned...

And regarding singing on the trail(to each his own re: the rap songs), but sometimes when hiking with kids you pull out whatever it takes to keep them going. I probably p/o many hikers when I was hiking with my kids years ago with songs and other antics -- but ultimately both my kids are still hiking: my 19 year old son just finished his 46 this summer and my 16 year old daughter is up to 41 and should finish this spring. So sometimes you do whatever it takes

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.