Sunday Mountain On A Thursday 2-23-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Sunday Mtn from Cross Rivendell Trail

Picture-011-L.jpg

On Thursday, I took a hike along the Cross Rivendell trail in Orford NH, from the foot of Mt Cube, west through the forest, eventually up and down Sunday Mtn (1,823 ft) then along some back roads, across a couple more trails which led me to the town of Orford and then stopped at the bridge over the Connecticut River. The entire trail is about 37 miles long, and I am almost done traversing it...just 7 or 8 miles to go.

This was my first hike in about a month, thanks to persistent sickness and lovely knee tendonitis. But after awhile I said "screw it" and just went for it. Cabin fever was killing me.

First sign at the trailhead.
Picture-001-L.jpg

This section of trail was fairly uneventful, and probably the least interesting section of the day. I wore microspikes the vast majority of the hike, and here was no exception. The ice was incredible in some sections...probably some of the worst ice I have seen at such a low elevation. Even in areas where there was no snow, the trail had hidden ice that could easily make one fall. Plus, there were two minor stream crossings. One was a tiny bit sketchy because the ice was hollow and made a bunch of noise as I crossed. The other, which was a tributary of Jacobs Brook, was open and easy.

Jacobs Brook
Picture-005-L.jpg

After a little over an hour I reached Rt 25A, crossed the road and headed over to Dame Hill Rd and Indian Pond Rd, where a short walk led me to the next section of trail which headed up Sunday Mtn. I've been wanting to hike this short yet steep looking mountain for a couple years now. so I was excited to give it a try. I heard the views weren't the best, but I still had high hopes.

Despite not being on a trail in a month, I made easy work of Sunday Mtn, and before long I was within the final 1/3 of a mile from the summit. And much to my surprise, the sun decided to come out! It kept with me for the rest of the hike.
Picture-029-L.jpg

Soon, I started getting a few unique views. Nothing sweeping, but enough to keep this an interesting trek.

Smarts Mtn
Picture-030-L.jpg

Mt Cube
Picture-033-L.jpg

The summit area was interesting. It was an area of hardwood forest, with no snow on the ground. This winter has been very unkind to this section of New England. Thankfully the forecast over the next couple weeks could show more snow.

Picture-035-L.jpg

I arrived at the summit of Sunday Mtn at around 1:30ish, still plenty of time to make it to the CT River before dark. I sat down, ate my lunch, and looked for a view. There was next to nothing to look at from the top, sadly. There could be an area where you can see Moosiluake, but the view was obscured by clouds. So I'll just show a sign of the summit.

Picture-040-L.jpg

While hiking back along the spur trail to the main trail, I found this sneak a view down to a farm.
Picture-048-L.jpg

I started heading down the mtn, somewhat disappointed that there were no true views from the summit. On the Cross Rivendell trail map, there was a binocular picture from the top of Sunday Mtn, which means there should have been a real view. Oh well, so much for that.

On my way down, the trail conditions changed from snow and ice covered, to nothing, back to ice, to nothing, etc etc. This was the theme for the day. Before long, I just said screw it, and kept the microspikes on. About a 1/2 mile from the summit, I came across a sign. Perhaps this was where the view was supposed to be?

Picture-056-L.jpg

It wasn't a bad view either. I think this was Piermont Mtn? Not sure exactly....I believe Moosilauke is behind it, covered in cloud.

Picture-057-L.jpg

A better shot of that farm
Picture-062-L.jpg

Cont in a min

Part 2

The trip down Sunday Mtn was fairly straight forward. There were also some really impressive ice flows along the way. Like this one...

Picture-071-L.jpg

Before long, I was on the dirt road, ready for a nice 2.2 walk. I figured I would make quick time here. One section of the road was not maintained, so I strapped on the microspikes yet again. That made for quick timing because that road was literally a skating rink.

Side road with a weak bridge that goes over Jacobs Bridge. I don't see very many 3 ton bridges anymore!
Picture-075-L.jpg

The final section of trail was literally 8/10 of a mile of skating rink ice...with water on top of it. If I didn't have my microspikes this hike would have been impossible.

Picture-087-L.jpg

Back to increasing clouds, all done the hike.

Picture-088-L.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the report of an area most people don't get to visit. Ciao for now. :-D

Hope you all enjoyed the report of an area most people don't get to visit. Ciao for now. :-D
I've hiked Sunday Mountain a couple of times, and done many loops over Mount Cube using the CR Trail, but never the section between them

The Mount Cube loop (up CRT, down the Kodak Trail and back by Baker Road) is one of my favorite spring hikes. Sunday Mountain strikes me as a nice hike, but nothing special and probably not worth the drive from Thornton.