Tent Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new tent. My last one lasted me a long time (15+ years), but its time for a new one.

I have been agonizing over this for a while, especially as I want to spend some money on this tent (and get my money's worth) and buy a tent that I can get multiple uses at multiple times of the year.

I was hoping people could give me some advice, based on my needs and wants (listed below):

Season: 3 season mostly, with a couple of winter camps well below treeline.

Uses: A mix of backpacking and carcamping in the Whites, Berks, and Daks.

Size: Ideally, light enough to be carried by me yet big enough for me, my wife, and a dog or child OR for me and another male friend.

I have looked at a lot of tents and read tons of reviews on the net. I have largely found myself zeroed in on the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 (as its under 7 pds, can fit 2 comfortably and 3 if your 3 appears to be a man, woman, and child/dog, and is under 350 dollars. My one concern over it would be that is has a mesh door and side panels. That seems like it would allow quite a good breeze through and might make it a nonstarter in winter.

Others I am/have considered are:

Eureka Timberlite 3
Eureka Apex 3xt
Sierra Designs Orion 3AST
Sierra Designs Comet CD3
North Face Talus
North Face Roadrunner

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or alternatives.

Dundare

Dun,
I used the Timberlite 2 for 12 years and found it to be a well constructed lightweight tent for the money - I especially liked the 2 hooded windows that offered plenty of ventilation. I used this tent in the winter many times (probably close to 20 ) and for 1 person it was awesome - trending that out - The T3 would be great for 2 people. It is not the best built tent (compared to SD, MH, MSR or TNF), but I found it well deserving of much praise for the low, low price. I just sold mine on Ebay and got more than I paid for it (well, I bought it as a Pro-Deal).

My only concern was really the narrow top of the A-frame - there is a lot of space lost there, however it is warmer in the winter.

Keep in mind that Erueka has stopped making these and they are getting harder to find - Campmor still has some.

Eureka may still have some Alpenlites (their factory outlet had them marked down to $99 for a time) which are similar to the timberlite, but with a center pole that opens the tent up into a bomb-proof part-hoop/part A-frame design and 2 doors/vestibules.

We have the Apex 3XTA for summer family camping - It is not a good winter tent - One side is all screen under the rainfly - IT would be very cold in there. It is also made of the lighter 1.9 oz nylon, whereas the alpenlite and the newer timberlites were a little heavier material with more passes of PU.

You might want to check out the Eureka tent factory outlet in Binghamton NY at 888-638-7352

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE tent in the whole wide world is my Kelty Vortex 4, it is freestanding fits 3 VERY comfortably, four comfortably and 5 smaller women have been squeezed in there. It weighs 8 pounds and is so FAST to set up and I have carried it all by myself when I've taken my non-hiking friends backpacking. I LOVE this tent. If someone was to tell me I could only pick one tent to keep, this would be it, without a doubt. It has been through torrential downpours, and light snow and it has performed beautifully. I know it is a little heavier than the one you are thinking about but I LOVE it so much, I had to chime in . . .

sli74

I'm very happy with my Sierra Designs Orion CD, bought from Campmor when it was a "last year's model." On mine (don't know about the current ones) the mesh panel in the ceiling has a zip-over nylon panel. It also has little brackets to tie lines inside, to stiffen it for winter snow loads.

Not heavy, easy & quick to set up with their clip system, and a good night's shelter.

I have to agree with sli on the Vortex, except mine is the 2 person model. It sets up in no time and has 2 doors with 2 vestibules. There is a lot of mesh for circulation which you might think was bad for winter though I have been out quite a few times near -15 and was OK. It is also quite light at 6 lbs.

I have owned the Eureka Timberlite 3 for about six years, and its never let me down. It survived a deluge of 3"+ one memorable night while keeping us dry, is quick and easy to set up, and shows little wear after about 60 nights in it. I have never used it in snow conditions, though.

I paid $46 for it at Eureka's outlet in Binghamton; it had a little smudge of seam sealer on the fly. Doesn't bother me at all!

Vortex

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE tent in the whole wide world is my Kelty Vortex 4

I'll back this up. I have the Vortex 2 and all things considered I rank this baby up there with the best tents I have ever used.

- Ridiculously easy to set up (2 minutes maybe, a bit longer in the dark but still very easy). Only 2 poles and they have rubber plugs on them to easily slide through the sleeves. One end of the sleeve is even sewn shut so when the rubber plug hits the sewn shut end you just have to put the end in your hand into the grommet and up goes the tent!

- Free standing design and half the time I dont even stake it down

- Sturdy bathtub design that has never leaked on me. In 5 years of rough use there are no tears or signs of wear.

- My facorite part... it has 2 FULL doors on opposite sides of the tent. And the rain fly produces 2 vestibules so each person gets a spot for their gear

- Extras.... has a mesh gear loft (attic), and mesh top 'windows' for star gazing.

It's just a perfect 2 person tent and will work great for someone who occasionally dips into winter hiking. I purchased it exactly for that reason and I've taken it on many Adirondack winter hikes and it has taken whatever was thrown at it.

I have several tents of all sizes and this is still without a doubt my "go to" tent.

The one downside? Weight. It could certainly be lighter. And when I solo I wouldnt even think of carrying this thing. But when gear is split across two packs, this is my choice in winter and summer

* The 2 is really a 2 person tent. It fits me and one other Male friend just perfect with room to spare. A dog would be fine in addition to two adults, but a child might be tight. Might want to consider the 4 in that case. Of course weight goes up with that one even more.

** There are similarly designed tents (free standing, 2 poles with 2 dorrs) by North Face and others that you can also look into

Last edited:
I also have the Vortex 2 and would buy it again. With 2 doors and 2 vestibules for gear and a set up in less than 3 minutes it can't be beat. I paid $120.00 in Campmor. I have been in major down pour's and have never had one drop of water in the tent.