Thanks for the boys scout trip advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Molloy

Reaction score
About six weeks back, I sought and received some great advice on a winter boy scout trip to Slide Mountain (Catskills) Thought I'd report that the trip was a success and the advice received here was really helpful.
(I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to do this.)

Based on suggestions here, my partner and I scouted the site abut two weeks ahead. It was a very helpful trip that put many of our fears to rest (especially about the deadly trailhead river-- which was a trickle this time of year.)

This was our first winter backpack (two days/one night) We didn't use sleds, but I will next time because the packs were heavier than we wanted, due to plenty of warm clothes and three winter tents.

The scouts had fun (and conditions were mild following a good sized storm) but the boys weren't motivated by facing extreme conditions. They wanted to play in the snow, fool around, and eat junkfood.

Making a change to the original plan, we chose a low altitude campsite with a fire ring and birch trees nearby, and so had a campfire. As such, in the end we gave up on reaching the summit, but the boys were much more comfortable with a shorter pack in and a warm fire.

The hiking was harder than we expected; a one mile pack in and five mile dayhike loop knocked my crew out.

All in, Slide proved a good choice for us. Thanks to all for the excellent advice.

Sean

Great job helping the boys! Here in the Theodore Roosevelt council they give a cheer called a big "Bully" to those who have done a good deed, so "BULLY" to you and your troop, from coldfeet Troop 423.