The Baldfaces, Eagle Crag and a Grand Plan - 10-18-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
We had an awesome day on Thursday hiking the Baldfaces with Trish, Alex, Sage, Hugh, Mike, Donna, Dan and Janelle. What a great group and what an incredible place. Dan and Janelle (Buffalo and Tough Cookie) got #37-40 in their quest for 52WAV. Awesome job guys - good luck with the last 12!

Here's the story: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-baldfaces-eagle-crag-and-grand-plan.html

and a couple of the views

Panorama from South Baldface plateau
p3.JPG

Enjoying an amazing day
IMG_5173.JPG

40 down, 12 to go for Buffalo and Tough Cookie
IMG_5159.JPG

how about that weather, eh? I got there a 6:45a, there was one car but I was the 1st on the trail. I took a ton of pix and took my time.. When I finished the loop @ 2p, I was shocked by how many cars were in the lot, because I only saw 1 hiker all-day and that was @1p half way down north, he was doing a counter clock loop and way behind were I'd want to be, not to mention he has never even done the loop. I asked him if he had water and headlamp and warned him that the ledges in south are steep.. Anyways one of my favorite hikes think 8th time for me on baldfaces.. I hiked the roost afterwards, 1st time ever super short, the spur trail to the scenic view of the wild river, with the bright orange foliage was awesome!

my car is the tan suby forester in the 1st pic of your tr..

nice to see the girls getting after it with there parents too! My little girl is almost 2 she's been on 20+ hikes with me all small and all in the backpack, I hope in a couple of years I'll be sharing moments similiar to you guys:)

Last edited:
Mark,
Janelle and I had the most wonderful time being out there with you and Natalie and the rest! This easily made the list of our top hikes on the 52. Amazing how it all came together and we were able to share that great place, every bit as challenging and beautiful as many much higher mountains. Wow, why haven't we gotten out to Evans Notch before? Def. my new favorite place! We hope you can join us for our finish!
Here's my Mark in the Wild shot!
0_0_dbd819d22e0ab3f7ca2ffb97f6b96697_1

Mark,
It was an incredible day to be out hiking in the mountains. I can't imagine it working out any better. Terrific story and photos! What an exceptional group of hikers too; especially Alex, Sage and Janelle.
Thanks again for taking us along. Looking forward to more hikes with the "gang" in the future.

Donna:)

how about that weather, eh? I got there a 6:45a, there was one car but I was the 1st on the trail. I took a ton of pix and took my time.. When I finished the loop @ 2p, I was shocked by how many cars were in the lot, because I only saw 1 hiker all-day and that was @1p half way down north, he was doing a counter clock loop and way behind were I'd want to be, not to mention he has never even done the loop. I asked him if he had water and headlamp and warned him that the ledges in south are steep.. Anyways one of my favorite hikes think 8th time for me on baldfaces.. I hiked the roost afterwards, 1st time ever super short, the spur trail to the scenic view of the wild river, with the bright orange foliage was awesome!

my car is the tan suby forester in the 1st pic of your tr..

nice to see the girls getting after it with there parents too! My little girl is almost 2 she's been on 20+ hikes with me all small and all in the backpack, I hope in a couple of years I'll be sharing moments similiar to you guys:)

You're right - the weather couldn't have been better. There were a bunch of cars in the lot when we got there at 8. Definitely more than I expected for a weekday. Obviously many of us had the same idea. :) I sure wouldn't have wanted to be heading up North @ 1pm - or to be going down the ledges on South at any point. Hope he was going down Slippery Brook. Keep your daughter out there with you! Best to start young and keep them interested. Ours is 17 now and off at college. We haven't gotten her to hike with us the last few years but she used to love it. Ah the joys of teenagers. :rolleyes: Hopefully she'll get back to it someday.

Mark,
Janelle and I had the most wonderful time being out there with you and Natalie and the rest! This easily made the list of our top hikes on the 52. Amazing how it all came together and we were able to share that great place, every bit as challenging and beautiful as many much higher mountains. Wow, why haven't we gotten out to Evans Notch before? Def. my new favorite place! We hope you can join us for our finish!

So glad we FINALLY got to hike with you guys too Dan. I feel the same way about Evans Notch - what took us so long? The other side across the Maine border has lots of promise too. Really loved Caribou, Goose Eye and Carlo this summer. Looking forward to more. Still working on that plan for the finish. Hope to see you soon.

Mark,
It was an incredible day to be out hiking in the mountains. I can't imagine it working out any better. Terrific story and photos! What an exceptional group of hikers too; especially Alex, Sage and Janelle.
Thanks again for taking us along. Looking forward to more hikes with the "gang" in the future.

Donna:)

Same here Donna. We had such a good time with this group. Looking forward to seeing you guys this winter!

Congratulations to all of you on your successful hike together. It all came together so nicely and everyone seemed to have had a great time. Isn't it nice when things can work out that way. I agree with Cookie that it would be nice if all folks were like hikers !