The Bigelows, ME (NE4K #63 & 64)- 3/20/2016

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiker0200

Reaction score
After looking at the weather and seeing complete sunshine for the Maine High Peaks, I decided to hike the Bigelows in Maine, which I had put off for the longest time. They were #63 and 64 on the NE67. Good thing I did put it off until today- if I didn't do it now, I wouldn't have gotten the crystal clear skies and excellent views I got from both summits!

I got up at 2:50 AM and was out the door shortly after 3 AM. After a breakfast stop and a re-supply stop, I got to the start of the hike at Stratton Brook Pond Rd around 7:10 AM. Geared up, locked up, and started down the road around 7:25 AM. The road walk was mostly snow/ice with a few dry spots, so I microspiked it. Once at the summer trailhead, I veered left onto the old road to the new bridge over Stratton Brook. At the drop to the bridge, I put on Hillsound Pros to avoid taking a tumble on the sheet ice. Crossed the bridge and talked with a camper- the camper would be the only person I'd see the whole hike :D .

Once past the bridge, the trail made a series of turns on an old road to a sign for the Firewarden's Trail. The trail is blazed and marked starting at the summer TH, but I dunno whether or not the FW trail officially starts at this sign :confused: . Anyway, the Firewarden's Trail made a short, abrupt climb to boot, and then was rather mellow for a long way. It was at this abrupt climb that I made three traction changes- took off the Hillsounds, then barebooted, then put the microspikes back on. Kind of annoying :mad: .

The trail intersected with the Horns Pond Trail about a couple miles in, then made a mellow, uneventful approach to the real fun- the steep upper part. Started the steep part in spikes, then switched back to Hillsounds, and I'd keep them on for the rest of the ascent and most of the descent.

Soon enough, I came to the junction with the AT and was given a choice of which peak to hit first- West Peak or Avery Peak. I chose West first. From the junction in the col, the AT made an abrupt, then mellow, then abrupt climb into the alpine zone to the 4,155 ft. summit. The skies were crystal clear with no clouds or wind, and the views were excellent! Could see the Presidential Range and Mt. Katahdin, among other major peaks. Rested and ate a cookie then headed back to the col for the climb to Avery Peak.

The AT to Avery dipped down a bit and then skirted up the mountain side, eventually making a steep-ish climb to the 4,088 ft. summit. Views were mostly the same, but from a slightly different vantage point. The summit also had the foundation of an old fire tower. Guess the trail I took up is called the Firewarden's Trail for a reason ;) ! I took a longer break here and just took it all in.

Eventually, I had to go back down. I had a long descent, plus a 4 hour drive back home. Fortunately, the descent was speedier than I thought, and I was back at the car around 2:10, 6 hours and 45 min. after starting.

Overall, this was one of the best NE67 hikes I've done so far. Good workout, nice long distance, treeless summits, crystal clear skies, and views for miles. I very rarely get days like this, and I took advantage of it. I'd say that today was a 100% complete success! Roundtrip distance was 13.8 miles with around 3,200 ft. of elevation gain, and it took a little over 6 hours not including my summit breaks.

Onward to the last three- Spaulding, Hamlin Peak and North Brother!

Here's the video recap, if you're interested: https://youtu.be/f82TFF_q2vA