"The Bulkhead"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiking lady

Reaction score
Yesterday my husband and I hiked up the Sunapee/Kearsarge/Ragged Trail from Proctor Academy to West Top and Balanced Rock, which is a spur trail .1 from the main trail. It comes to a cliff area that has a sign which says "The Bulkhead." It goes over the ledges (precariously in some places) with some signage. I got too nervous to continue on and my husband went on about .1-.2 beyond this, but never finished seeing it through. He is assuming it leads to some type of cave hence, the name "bulkhead." I couldn't find anything on this on the internet or the SRKT website or in the Southern NH AMC guide book. Anyone have any info on how far the trail goes and what is at its end? The balanced rock which you initially come to is very cool, but didn't know if anyone knew anything about this...

I have no idea how it got that name, but since "bulkhead" means retaining wall, I'm guessing there's a cliff near the peak.

The Bulkhead if you look at where the coords plot is not the little bump but the cliff to the W, and the trail leads to the top

If you are braver, there are actually 2 cliffs with a diagonal scree gully between which you can descend to a woods road which leads back to Rte.4

The Bulkhead if you look at where the coords plot is not the little bump but the cliff to the W, and the trail leads to the top

If you are braver, there are actually 2 cliffs with a diagonal scree gully between which you can descend to a woods road which leads back to Rte.4

Interesting, my husband being a rock climber would be all for that. I went part way and got a good view of Kearsarge, but gave up when it went on and on. Apparently it is marked.

My son built the trail between Balanced Rock and the "Bulkhead" as his senior project at Proctor Academy in 2010. After walking along the ledges by Balanced Rock the trail enters the forest, is blazed, and its just over 1/2 mile to the Bulkhead with beautiful views to East including Hopkins and Elbow Ponds. There is a trail down from the Bulkhead so you can loop and don't have to back track. Likely to see Peregrine Falcons at the Bulkhead. Enjoy!