The carbon footprint of hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little Rickie said:
That's a mixed blessing. When the price of oil goes down the incentive to develop alternative energy goes out the door. Just like what happened after the energy embargo of the 70"s. :(
I agree, although there is some indication that "this time" might be different, with renewed environmental concerns focusing on fossil fuel use. And if that's not enough, some are proposing fuel price floors to maintain the incentive to convert/conserve.

A fuel-price floor / fuel tax, while it would be wildly unpopular alone, would at least keep the money in this country, could be used to reduce the other highway taxes we all pay, and would keep the pressure on the market to find an alternative, without favoring any one particular technology (fuel from crops, for example.) The more the true cost of fuel is reflected in the price, the more the free market can be brought to bear on a solution.

Tim

Chip said:
I agree, although there is some indication that "this time" might be different, .

Famous last words. Don't bet on it. :D

Actually I expect there will be some follow through (hippies are still around they are just older and now voters) just like in the 70s but the "energy" put into it will dwindle as the financial pain eases. It's the high prices that make the alternative a viable option or the alternative has to be cheeper.