The carbon footprint of hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spencer - what an awesome post.

I always kind of laughed at people that go all enviro-nazi on people and then drive 200 miles 3 times per month to hike and use GPS that uses satellites in space that used at least a little gas to get into space. They likely do more miles/harm than the same city/fat people they mock.

Why - to hike?? - a purely selfish (but not wrong) pastime if you ask me. I do it and I admit to being somewhat selfish.

Thats why - is just live for the day. I will be honest and say, I insulate my home b/c its cheaper long term, I drive 4cyl - b/c its cheaper, I buy energy star b/c its cheaper, I take the train to work becuase its less stress and cheaper than driving. Not at all b/c I care about anything but myself and my wallet and stress level, I might try and kid myself and say I like to do my part, but its really BS. I do it for my own gain.

If I am being honest with myself - I don't give 2 craps about global warming, the whales, the birds, etc... I may say I care and I love the wildlife, etc.. "look at that nice moose and deer running around. look at that grayjay", but I am prepared to change my lifestyle or pay more money to protect anything?? Not a chance in hell.

just saying and just being honest and telling it like it is.

Last edited:
spencer said:
Yes, Yes, Yes! This statement is HUGELY relevant for our kind! I think too many of us outdoorsy folks thing we are already environmentalists

You mean that driving several hours to look at nature is not the same as taking care of it??? :rolleyes:

I think the confusion between recreation and stewardship is finally clearing up. Certainly in the hippy-dippy places I've lived lately (Vermont and coastal Maine), the cool kids lug mason-jar water bottles around and care as much or more about growing their own food as they do about bagging peaks or climbing 5.10.

Nalgenes are so passe. :D

None of this is to say that recreation isn't important; I think it is valuable. But it is what it is.

Giggy has it right--The only way to assuredly change human behavior is to make it profitable for them to change. I agree, in principle, with most of what you said, Spencer, with the exception of the telling-me-what-to-do part. (I spent most of the winter in heavy fleece, wool socks, and warm slippers, occasionally wearing a hat -- in my own house, while watching my neighbors run out to the mailbox in shorts & a T-shirt.) Without going all political here, this applies to every facet of our lives. Make it cost more to not wear a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet. Offer financial rewards for not smoking, keeping your cholesterol down, having fewer kids, etc...

In the interest of full disclosure, here are my scores:

54 - Your Estimated Emissions (4 person household)
110 - United States Average per Person(4 person household)
22 -World Average per Person(4 person household)

That puts my family at 50% of the US national average and 245% of the world average (compared to 500% overall by US averages).

Driving & Flying (22.5%) (I haven't been on a plane since before 9/11/2001, so that's all driving)
Home Energy (43.1%) (I am certain my house is more energy efficient than the US National Average)
Recycling & Waste (4.5%) (we recycle everything they accept at the transfer station)
Food & Diet (30.0%) (we have a garden, and buy organic when it is offered at a reasonably comparable price, which isn't as often as I'd like :()

I have worked tirelessly to keep my job closer to home. Some people ask "How come you change jobs so often?" to which I reply "Because employers keep moving to Massachusetts and I hate driving that far." I expect my driving to decrease significantly this year, as my round-trip is now on par with last year's one-way. And I am now within practical range of cycling - 16 miles each way.

Tim

I agree about not blaming developing nations, after we set (and broadcast) the "bar".

My current 32-mile (1 gallon) solo commute IS bicyclable, but I would probably be fined/arrested. And 'sides the Interstate is scary enough in my little Scion :)
I would love to see existing (but vacant) RR converted to commute between where I (can afford to) live and where I work. OTOH, even a bus route would be an improvement.

BTW, flying to NYS to backpack is something I have done, but my allotment of fuel consumption is the same as driving my car. And you have to pack more carefully.

Getting RELEVANT: Wasn't there major passenger rail service into the Adirondacks, back in the early 20th century ? I assume the current tourist rail is much smaller volume, even if it uses some of the same tracks. Imagine taking a train from Albany (Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo) to Placid or Newcomb (or from Boston/Portland to northern NH) then a shuttle to the trailhead; that would rock ! Same vision for Raleigh-to-Asheville, and DC-to-Shenandoah.

MR

jime said:
I did not know this! I wonder if they allow bikes on the bus? It would be fairly easy to get to some of the closer trailheads that way, if you are geared up for touring. Hmmmm...
Concord Trailways will take unboxed bikes in the cargo hold if there's room (there usually is.) Bringing an allen wrench + heavy weight to turn the bars, and an appropriate wrench to remove pedals, may help (or get a Bike Friday ;) ). Some of the CT busses go through to Gorham, with stops at Pinkham, so that gets you on the hiker shuttle. I just wish bike parking at Pinkham weren't so lousy.

CT also does routes up to Lincoln.

dentonfabrics said:
A bus leaves Concord, NH, every day and stops at EMS in N. Conway. Now if the AMC hiker shuttle stopped there too, me might have the start of something.
This bus starts in Boston and also stops at Pinkham Notch and Gorham

A different bus goes from Boston to Littleton with stops at Lincoln and Franconia, both bus schedules are more suitable for backpackers than day hikers
http://www.concordcoachlines.com/pdfs/NH_April_2007.pdf

The AMC once figured that all AMC hut trailheads except Galehead were accessible by public transportation if you counted local taxis, that was before the hiker shuttle

Many AT crossings in VT/NH/ME can be reached by bus

Unfortunately Keene has terrible bus service

I've been increasing my "Carbon Footprint" as of late.

Last weekends trip to VT = 569 miles for 6 peaks, 2 weeks ago 425 miles for 2 peaks. This weekend it's off to MA for Greylock & SaddleBall, then up into VT for more.

Am I concerned... no. I'm thankful Global Warming is off-setting the Global Cooling of the '70's ;)

(wait a minute, the UN states that Global Average Temperature hasn't risen in 10 years, and the British journal Nature says the next decade could be cooler)

I'm so confused. It's hard being a Wal-mart shopper, Fox news listener, and NPR questioner. :p :D :D :eek:

Living in Montreal and hiking twice a month in New York (122 miles to Keene Valley), New Hampshire (200 miles to Gorham), or Maine (185 miles to Stratton) puts me right in the center of your target.

Shoot.

I'd still be outhere hiking next week.

Keep on hiking

timmus said:
Living in Montreal and hiking twice a month in New York (122 miles to Keene Valley), New Hampshire (200 miles to Gorham), or Maine (185 miles to Stratton) puts me right in the center of your target.

Shoot.

I'd still be outhere hiking next week.

I don't think anyone (including me and I started this thread) is talking about not hiking. In fact, if you tell me depressing news that the world is going to hell, my first reaction is "Lord I need a hike." But we can think of ways to improve our carbon footprint while hiking and there is one thing that no one has really mentioned yet: Carbon offsets (finding ways to reduce our carbon footprints in the rest of our lives to offset the fuel we burn getting to those trailheads). I mean if power plants get to use carbon offsets, shouldn't we get to do it too?

Solitary said:
But we can think of ways to improve our carbon footprint while hiking and there is one thing that no one has really mentioned yet: Carbon offsets (finding ways to reduce our carbon footprints in the rest of our lives to offset the fuel we burn getting to those trailheads)
Puck knows more about this than me, but we've discussed it. Actual "Carbon Offsets" are a bit of a scam, if not a complete scam: "Buy 10 trees and offset your next flight !" :rolleyes: I'm afraid it's a "feel good" proposition that will never have any real impact. Reusing and recycling all the plastic in our lives would have a much greater impact, I'm sure.

Solitary said:
Carbon offsets (finding ways to reduce our carbon footprints in the rest of our lives to offset the fuel we burn getting to those trailheads).

My workplace is 25 miles from my home, and take two buses and the subway to get there.

But I don't do it to save the planet, I just like to use this free time to plan hikes, read guide books and even unfold maps just to anoy people.

Lots of talk about organic produce. Great idea. More important is locally grown produce. Buying organic spinach that is grown in California and shipped under refridgeration across the country will dump more carbon than something that was grown with a chemical fertilizer one town over.

Alot of larger companies are "going green" for two reasons: great PR image and great savings in the long run. The financial aspect is huge as pointed out already.

Being environmentaly friendly has been its own reward. I try to bike to work and grow my own vegtables. Many times I have had a speeding SVU blow by me throwing Whopper wrappers out the window.

One last thing what about the carbon footprint of someone driving the mountains to do trail work or some conservation project?

All this carbon footprint talk has got me to wondering. I hear a lot about gas to drive to and from the trailhead. But what about all this fancy gear that people brag about buying with their REI dividend? I don't believe that stoves and sleeping bags and tents and softshell pants, etc. grow on trees in suburban Boston. Most is manufactured overseas, incurring massive expenditures of fossil fuels in the creation and transport of said items. Combined with the general lack of environmental laws in most of those places, to say nothing of human rights and/or worker safety, this seems to me to be at least as big of an issue as burning a dozen or two extra gallons of gas a week.

SteveHiker said:
All this carbon footprint talk has got me to wondering. I hear a lot about gas to drive to and from the trailhead. But what about all this fancy gear that people brag about buying with their REI dividend? I don't believe that stoves and sleeping bags and tents and softshell pants, etc. grow on trees in suburban Boston. Most is manufactured overseas, incurring massive expenditures of fossil fuels in the creation and transport of said items. Combined with the general lack of environmental laws in most of those places, to say nothing of human rights and/or worker safety, this seems to me to be at least as big of an issue as burning a dozen or two extra gallons of gas a week.

Good point.

Especially when you believe, as me, that any old sneakers, T-shirt and wool jacket are good enough for most of the summer hiking. It's fun to buy new gear, but most of the time we don't really need it.

How many actually died from wearing cotton ??

All this talk about reducing your CO2 footprint by changing driviving habits sounds great. However, according to many reports, changing your diet to a vegetarian or vegan diet will by far lower your footprint more than changing your driving habits.

One last thing what about the carbon footprint of someone driving the mountains to do trail work or some conservation project?[/QUOTE]

What does the earth see? When a botonist walks in a fragile area to do research, or when someone drives to Franconia ridge to put stones along the sides of the trail to protect the plants, are their real footprints or is their carbon footprint somehow cancelled out? That's crazy. Part of the motivation of doing those things is knowing you are as guilty as anyone else.

SteveHiker said:
to say nothing of human rights and/or worker safety,
There was an article in Outdoors about that last year. The big outdoor gear manufacturers have a pretty good record for their factories...Patagonia and REI were two mentioned as models. In fact, the article said smaller gear companies will often try to get their products made in the same factories, rather than vetting the factory themselves.

It's only one part of a very large picture, of course. I'll see if I can't dig the article up and provide a proper citation.