The Fool Killer 3548'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerDoc

Reaction score
Roger & I decided to get TFK again because it had been at least 10 years since either of us had been there and I had heard the register was down. Sabbaday Brook trail was a sheet of ice but since it is almost flat we were able to bareboot to the bushwack point at 2700'. The water crossings were all frozen thanks to the recent cold snap but the rain prior to that left the snow solid. It took us almost 3 hours to get up to the turnoff but we were taking lots of photos and otherwise goofing off. We put on snowshoes at that point which was not the right choice. Should have put on crampons but left them in the car. The 800' up in 1/3 mile was quite steep but open woods with lots of handholds. A 50 degree bearing brought us right out at the summit, and as rumour had it, no register. We placed one that I had brought and spent some cold windy time sitting around. Neither of us was looking forward to the steep slippery trip back down to the trail. However we ran out of distracting things to do so down we went, very fast. The snowshoes helped on the way out for traction. Total trip about 7 hours including lots of stops for photos, video, eats, etc. Encountered no other hikers to spoil our 'wilderness experience'.

i pity the fool

the name always cracks me up when my eyes happen upon it when reading maps. some day i'll go up there when i feel like getting killed.

Last edited:
HikerDoc, thanks for putting up a new canister. Knowing it's there gives me that much more motivation to claim TFK this summer (I just hope all the ice you and Roger encountered is gone by then).

Foolkiller

Yea,I was up there this fall and spent way too much time lookin fer a jar,I'm sure Hiker Doc put it where it should be.......Missin Link

Open woods, you say? It's been a long while, but our ascent, partially up a slide, included a good 45 minutes of nasty scrub. The descent was much better, down a rocky slide/ledges that put us near the left turn for Tripyramid. It was a nice smug feeling to have been there, isolated yet so close to the throngs we encountered at the Falls on the return.