The forever flashlight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
Lately I've been seeing ads on TV for the "forever" flashlight. It does not use batteries or bulbs. Instead it uses an electrical induction principle to produce juice that runs the LEDs. You shake the thing for 30 secs and you get 5 minutes of light.

Sounds like a hiker's dream, yes? No batteries to run low, especially in cold temps. No bulbs to burn out. Less weight. But I wonder if anyone's had experience with these things before I go off and waste my money.

I have had so many horror experiences with flashlights. I'm still looking for the miracle one. Is this it?

Thanks.

flashlight

I don't have the "forever" flashlight but I do have an LED flashlight which runs on batteries. The batteries do last for a couple of years. However, it gives almost no light. I carry it when I run at night so that I can be seen. Or hang it near the tent to make it easier to find my way back after a midnight stroll.

Sports man' s guide also has a wind up one. I think it was $24.94 in the new annaversary flyer. I thought the same thing as you. Cool for the pack if it works. :)

Confessions of a flashlight junkie.

As part of what my wife calls my gear addiction, I went through a mess of flashlights searching for "the right one".

My favorite best-bang-for-the-buck flashlight is an LED 9V called 'Pal'Light.

They have a website at www.palight.com and call it the 'survival' model now.

With a Lithium 9V the little thing seems to run forever even in freezing temps. In fact - it never turns off. It runs in a minimum light mode for something like 2 years on a single battery, making it easy to find in the dark, it has a medium mode that will run an entire week with useful in tent lighting, and a high mode with over 20 hour life that makes a good walking flashlight. It also has a blink mode that's supposed to run 200 hours or more as an emergency signal.

I've used and abused mine regularly for almost 2 years and have had no problems. I'm on my third battery. For under $20, throw one in the pack or glovebox and you'll be impressed the first time you need it.

And no... I don't work for the company. I just love my Pal.

My wife saw one of these in a store and thought it would be perfect for me. This was a year ago and I don't know if newer ones are different, but it's heavy, has 1 whimpy LED and after 30 seconds of shaking, gives about 30 seconds of light that quickly fades into nothingness. I keep in in the car in case of emergencies but told my wife that it's the best thing she's ever found for me:rolleyes: My trusty $8, 3 LED Energizer hasn't let me down yet!

I have an L.E.D. flashlight and multi lamp, 3 L.E.D., 1 Xeon, headlamp. The flashlight has one lamp which is good for finding stuff in the pack or tent. My 5 year old loves to play with flashlights and I don't normally let him use them because he runs the cells out so when I need a light it's useless. I let him use my LED light, he left it on in the couch cushion for a few days. When I found it it was still working. LED lights are great the batteries last a long long time. They are a little pricey compared to regular flashlights but are well worth it.

My guess is that the weight of the thingy (coils, brushes, etc) that charges it is probably a lot more than the batteries, which makes it less desirable unless you're car camping. I have a wind-up radio of that ilk which is great, but probably weighs a pound more than it would with just batteries.